Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2002, 11:29 AM

Default PTLE/MBox with new TiBook also running OSX

Hi all, I tried a search for this info I need, but to no avail. Here's my scenario I could really use advice on:

I'm a long time pro user, and I also have an MBox for touring/small projects. I'm getting a new 1 gHz PowerBook, which obviously will have OS 10.2.x pre-installed, as well as an OS 9.2.2. system folder as well, to my knowlege.

My question is simply: will I be able to run the MBox just fine (with my plug-ins I need) as long as I boot up from the OS9 system folder, yet still bounce right back over to OS X for my other computer use? In other words, will this be as simple and safe as having a computer that strictly runs OS9?

Here's what the Digi MBox compatibility document says: "You must boot computer in OS 9 — Pro Tools will not run using OS X or Classic mode". That SEEMS to answer my question, but it doesn't clearly state that PT LE and the MBox will indeed run under the scenario I am suggesting.

Hope this doesn't seem lame; I just need a real confirmation, especially from anyone that actually
runs this configuration. (I had also heard about dissapearing plug-in authorizations, but that was a scenario where the person tried to install OS 10.2 over 9.2.2)

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!
Old 12-30-2002, 01:10 PM

Default Re: PTLE/MBox with new TiBook also running OSX

Yes.

You are probably best just using OS9 *just* for your PT work. That way you can mess with OSX as much as you want without destroying your setup for PT.
Tip: if you are new to PT, ask your local reputable sound shop if they can optimise your system or PT; it's worth paying for. When you get home, burn that system to a CD so you always have a copy of it.
That way, in the event of a catastrophic failure, you still have a reliable system you can put back and keep working.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by politemusic:

Hope this doesn't seem lame; I just need a real confirmation, especially from anyone that actually
runs this configuration. (I had also heard about dissapearing plug-in authorizations, but that was a scenario where the person tried to install OS 10.2 over 9.2.2)

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I actually do this, and it works fine. My setups:

TiG4 400 - Mbox - OS 9.2.2 and 10.2.3 - no problems whatsoever

TiG4 800 DVI - Digi002 - OS 9.2.2 and 10.2.3 - no problems whatsoever either

I move my plugins around (McDsp, Bombfactory) on my iLok, and have Waves 3.6 on both machines - C/R authorized to the hard disks. (The only problem I had with lost plugins was when I upgraded my 867 Desktop/001 to 10.2.3 from 10.1.5, I lost Realverb which uses an older PACE scheme.)

To make booting at startup easier - I scrapped the dual boot factory setup and partitioned my discs into OSX and OS 9 only, as well as an audio only disk. Advantage - at startup - you can hold to option key to toggle between OS's - and you can erase the audio disk to reintialize in a split second.

Feel free to email with any specific ?s
Old 12-30-2002, 03:48 PM

Muzza & Frank S

Thanks a LOT for this extremely helpful information.

Muzza, I'm already a long-time pro user, so I'm cool - but good tips nonetheless.

Frank S, Sounds like your situation is very similar to mine. If you don't mind, I'll drop you an email.

THanks!