Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2002, 08:52 AM

Default Oxygen 8 with G4 867

I've been using the midi I/O of the Digi 001 for two years now with an external hardware controller synth attached to it which controls the Korg Oasys, Samplecell II Plus and Pluggo 3. I've since sold the controller and want to add a rack mount synth to the 001 midi I/O and use a USB Midiman Oxygen 8 or something like it in the USB port to be the main controller.

My qusetion is: Does anyone have the G4 867 (single processor) Quicksilver (OS 9.2) with an Oxygen 8 (or any other USB midi interface keyboard) running with success? Meaning no stuck notes or freezes.

I used to have major USB issues with my last G4 400 (PCI Graphics) with Digital Performer and a Midi Express XT years ago and have gotten away from ANYTHING USB midi because of it since. One of the selling points of the 001 2 years ago for me was the included midi I/O.

I'm a guitar player and don't really use alot of synths just enough to my taste like my aforementioned setup. Especially cause the 001's midi I/O has been nothing but rock solid stable. But, of course, you can only run the one midi instrument at a time into it. Or can you? Maybe, is there some kind of MIDI patch bay you can run into the 001 to use more than one synth/controller at a time?????

Thanks, Chris
Old 12-29-2002, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Oxygen 8 with G4 867

Hey Chris,

Cool website. You shouldn't have any problems with an Oxygen 8. You can, however, use an external module and a controller hooked to the same midi port with no problems. I have a controller hooked to the midi in on my Digi001 and an E-mu sampler connected to the midi out. You have to dial in your OMS setup with whatever module you decide on. I use logic as well as Pro Tools. Since I've been using virtual instruments, I haven't even turned on my sampler in over a year.

Just curious about your Rosetta, has it made huge difference in your sound? I'm weighing the differences between RME, Apogee and Lucid. I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about OMS or whatever.

Mark Polack
Nashville, TN
Old 12-29-2002, 11:14 AM

my oxygen 8 via USB is buggy -- random parameter changes in Reason, and odd stuff in PTLE from time to time, too.

you can, however, use it via trad. MIDI ports.

t.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:44 PM

There are a couple of caveats with using the Oxy 8 and a 001:

1. Last I checked the 001 OMS driver and recent Midiman OMS drivers conflict - check the FAQ on their website to verify this. As such you can only use the Oxy 8 into the 001 as described above OR the OXY 8 via USB into your MAC but then you loose the 001 MIDI input/output.

2. According to M-audios website, the Oxy 8 seems to work best with OMS 2.3.7 and not the 2.3.8 version that PTLE requires. Theres also mention about removing certain Opcode USB interface drivers - MIDIPort32 - which also conflict with the Oxy 8 drivers. All that being said, I've gotten OMS to recognize the OXY 8 on my TiG4 400 using the later version of OMS, but cannot get it to work (despite fresh installs of OMS/Midiman drivers) on my TiG4 800 DVI that I run with my 002 . I assume there's probably another conflict the 002 OMS drivers. It just will not see the keyboard when running an OMS New studio setup. I've defaulted to using the Oxy 8 as a conventional MIDI keyboard into the 002 MIDI input- bypassing USB (save for power).

I also have an unrelated problem with Logic under OS 10.2.3 and the Oxy8, where it sometimes gives me error messages about my XSkey not being attached to the USB port - which it is.

Maybe you can tell I've wasted alot of time getting this information - and getting my Oxy 8 to work properly.

IN SUMMARY, I believe that Midiman drivers absolutely suck. Despite what is otherwise a nice little product it just doesn't do what they say it does - at least not for Digi users. Compare and contrast with my emagic MT4 USB interface - which has worked flawlessly with my 001, 002, and Mbox right out of the box, with the proviso that you then need a keyboard to input with.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:45 PM

Thanks alot Mark, Frank and Tommy it's always a pleasure here on the DUC.

Mark, you know I was about to purchase the Apogee Rosetta right as I updated my website last, yet it never went through. But, I'm thinking about trying to get it again. I'll tell you what, that Oasys does a really good job for recording into PT via the optical ports. Also, using the dbx Quantum for finalzing does a great job on the end conversion.

Yea, I thought about connecting the controller to the midi in on the 001 and the rack synth into the midi out of the 001. Thanks!

Tommy and Frank thanks for the fore warning, I thought there may be some issues.

Thanks again all,
Genuinely, Chris