Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2022, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post

The only 2 things I really use Ultimate for is Trim Auto mode and Clip FX...
Hi Chevron

I am in the same position - only upgraded from Pro Tools to Pro Tools Ultimate for Advance Automation and Clip FX (no HDX etc) paid $1000 upgrade then been a good customer and kept support up to date $400 per year and then this. Stuck paying double the support compared to Pro Tools for nothing. Or ditch the whole thing and go elsewhere.

Avid - customers make financial decisions and invest time based on products offered. If you go around rejigging your products every 5 mins it just shows scant regard to existing customers. Is there any benefit in my situation to staying with Ultimate or have I just been stung?

Do you offer a downgrade to Pro Tools or is this just another way of stuffing customers into the subscription mold?

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12 Win 10 Pro 22H2 Gigabyte GA-Z270 i7-7700K 32GB Ram UAD Apollo 8
Old 04-27-2022, 04:02 AM

So far one user has had a really miserable time with 2022.4, but as far as I can tell most people are finding it okay? Just waiting for a bit more real-world feedback before jumping.

Am looking forward to customising those keyboard shortcuts, which will involve deleting many of them. I never want to insert the clip at the beginning of the timeline or activate pre-roll. Ever. Butterfingers here does both several times a week at the moment.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-27-2022, 04:54 AM

Pro Tools user since 2001, but only joined the Subscription train last year when I upgraded my HD Accel rig to HDX. I do music, assorted audio production, not post. But as a longtime MIX, HD, now HDX user, I very much like the additional DSP and low latency HDX offers. I knew going HDX last year was a qualified risk. But...

This new plan change seems to do nothing but screw me, for more money per year. My Ultimate Subscription just renewed last week for $650. (Are all the $399 people out there Perpetual users?) Also, I am running on a 2009 Cheesgrater flashed to 5,1. I'm on 2021.6, and despite the Mp3 import issues, I love this system. Super stable. With the Hybrid engine + HDX I can run really huge sessions even on my old machine. I am very content where I am. None of the new "features", such as they are, cater to me on any level. I can't even run 2022.4 on my rig. So...

Like many here, I'm totally confused about the path forward. I've been using Pro Tools for 20+ years and don't want to switch. Should I buy a Perpetual license and stay where I am? Is it worth the $2,500? Is that the price I am looking at? What version(s) are you entitled to when you buy Perpetual?

Anyway, I'm half venting, and half asking for advice. Seems Avid has really screwed the HD Native / HDX folks who do NOT happen to be running a huge Post or large, pro studio operation. There should be another tier below "Flex", for those who don't want to pay an extra $XXX per year for two new plugins and a shortcut gizmo, but still want to use their HDX / HD Native hardware
Old 04-27-2022, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2065 View Post
Hi Chevron

I am in the same position - only upgraded from Pro Tools to Pro Tools Ultimate for Advance Automation and Clip FX (no HDX etc) paid $1000 upgrade then been a good customer and kept support up to date $400 per year and then this. Stuck paying double the support compared to Pro Tools for nothing. Or ditch the whole thing and go elsewhere.

Avid - customers make financial decisions and invest time based on products offered. If you go around rejigging your products every 5 mins it just shows scant regard to existing customers. Is there any benefit in my situation to staying with Ultimate or have I just been stung?

Do you offer a downgrade to Pro Tools or is this just another way of stuffing customers into the subscription mold?
Hi Simon, I feel your pain.

The good news may be that the 2 features that it seems you and I both use Ultimate for (Clip FX & Trim Auto) may now be in Pro Tools Studio, which is a $299 annual sub. Making me wonder if we can sell/trade in our perpetual Ultimate licenses and have a reduced cost of $299 per year? Rather than the $399 annual cost to keep Ultimate perp up to date. Even make a little cash on the Ultimate sale...

I totally hear you on the naming of the different tiers and changing the different levels, very confusing and needless. I posted this on a Facebook group

>>>> Have they quashed the bug where the Pro Tools software lineup gets renamed intermittently?

Pro Tools HD, LE, Ultimate, Flex, Studio, Artist, Free, First, Vanilla......
Old 04-27-2022, 05:03 AM

Everything went smoothly here...even with the HDX firmware update.

And with the "Pro Tools will no longer prevent certain plug-ins from loading on macOS Monterey" fix... the problem with Source Elements Talkback and Nugen MasterCheck not loading is now good to go. This completes the Monterey hurdles for me.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:04 AM

Could there be a semi-happy outcome here for some at least? If you're not tied to hardware and now don't need Ultimate, then there would be a big 2nd hand market for Ultimate licenses... if it's legal to resell? Then quickly snap up a perpetual Studio license instead.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-27-2022, 05:07 AM

Totally agree with Innerbooty here.
The sub price for Flex is crazy expensive.
The full version sub to Soundflow is only $12.00 a month anyway and what else could possibly be in the Post bundle that most of us don't own already?
They are literally pricing out their own hardware and these days other alternatives are available.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:24 AM

...but how difficult can it be to offer the studio lineup to the HD hardware?
Maybe Avid need to change 2 lines of the source-code ?

CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC
Old 04-27-2022, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Hi Simon, I feel your pain.

The good news may be that the 2 features that it seems you and I both use Ultimate for (Clip FX & Trim Auto) may now be in Pro Tools Studio,
Yes hence my downgrade question. It is good that they finally brought these features to Pro Tools but I wish it was 3 years earlier.

I am sure Avid will not offer a downgrade especially for perpetual licensees so only solution as noiseboyuk suggests is to sell Ultimate Perpetual and buy Pro Tools (=studio) Perpetual and then pay the $200 per year.

But Avid should let customer know what they plan i.e. will there be any other benefit to staying with Ultimate other than those currently listed and the vague "Ideal for - Large-scale music and/or audio post production and those who rely on Pro Tools | HD systems"

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12 Win 10 Pro 22H2 Gigabyte GA-Z270 i7-7700K 32GB Ram UAD Apollo 8
Old 04-27-2022, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandal View Post
...but how difficult can it be to offer the studio lineup to the HD hardware?
Maybe Avid need to change 2 lines of the source-code ?

Those 2 lines of code are very expensive!