Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-05-2021, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Is Apple M1 Working Finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
Could you please give some more spec about the video files you are using?
Are these Pro Res?
How long is the video that take 70% of the RAM memory?

Thanx a lot

_
I'm not on M1 but the Video Engine at idle is taking up 4.5GB on my machine. With no session open. It's a hog.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I'm not on M1 but the Video Engine at idle is taking up 4.5GB on my machine. With no session open. It's a hog.
Hm, exactly the same on my non-M1 machine (4.1GB after a fresh launch and no session open and no difference with a huge session open and 2.5 hours of QT loaded). But if PT runs fine who cares how much RAM it uses. RAM is there to be used no? As long as it doesn't run out of RAM....
Old 11-08-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Hm, exactly the same on my non-M1 machine (4.1GB after a fresh launch and no session open and no difference with a huge session open and 2.5 hours of QT loaded). But if PT runs fine who cares how much RAM it uses. RAM is there to be used no? As long as it doesn't run out of RAM....
I agree. Above poster said it was taking up 70% of his memory at 16GB. Just pointing out it needs a lot. I have 32GB at the moment. I've run 64 too but never got close to needing it so I went with 32 for this machine.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:03 AM

Back to the original question. I'm testing a M1 mac mini with 16GB and the video engine is working fine, but it makes Pro Tools slow. The latency when hitting play is too big. It's not ready for pro post work for me. I'm guess it's a Pro Tools problem, because other apps with video are much snappier.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Horse View Post
Back to the original question. I'm testing a M1 mac mini with 16GB and the video engine is working fine, but it makes Pro Tools slow.
Same here. The problem is both PT and hardware, as the AVE takes several gigabytes of memory which is already running thin. Need more memory.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Back to the original question. I'm testing a M1 mac mini with 16GB and the video engine is working fine, but it makes Pro Tools slow. The latency when hitting play is too big. It's not ready for pro post work for me. I'm guess it's a Pro Tools problem, because other apps with video are much snappier.
Yeah I did some tests with m1 air, 8gb and it wasn't that it wasn't fast, but I felt it wasn't stable at all. The video engine worked quite good but of course I run out of memory (because of 8gb).

Last edited by vaggelis.mak; 11-26-2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:03 AM

My advice would be to wait until the M1 Max version of the Mac mini comes out. At Production Expert, we have been running some tests on an M1 Max powered MacBook Pro with 64GB of unified memory and frankly, it is amazing.

In the first tests, we compared it to a Mac mini 2018. We have since done further tests with the new HD Driver for HDX systems and also the new video engine and we will be publishing these very soon.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
My advice would be to wait until the M1 Max version of the Mac mini comes out. At Production Expert, we have been running some tests on an M1 Max powered MacBook Pro with 64GB of unified memory and frankly, it is amazing.
I'm sure that machine is amazing, but I'm afraid it's a software problem. My standard sessions with dnxhd36 video are certainly not snappy on the Mini M1 16GB with Big Sur and PT 2021.10.0

In activity window there is always enough headroom for CPU, GPU and memory, o that's no problem.

The same session is running much more fluently on my Mac Pro 10core trashcan with High Sierra and PT 2020.12.
Upgrading to 2021.3, then 2021.6 and after that 2021.10 downgraded my system to being more "laggy".

After installing Catalina on the trashcan it was still lagging with PT 2021.10.
This with massive amounts of headroom for the GPU (just a few percent) and CPU. Also more than enough RAM headroom.

I tried downgrading PT to 2021.3. It was better, but not much.
Then I downgraded to 2020.12 and it was better then 2021.3, but not as good as with High Sierra.

So, in my test, the older machine worked best with the older OS and the older Pro Tools version for the exact same session.

Last edited by JFreak; 11-30-2021 at 06:04 AM. Reason: fixed the quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:06 AM

Quote:
my Mac Pro 10core trashcan
Oh you also have the custom mod? I thought I was the only one. Apple only ever sold 4/6/8/12 core but never 10-core.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:01 AM

Been curious what happens when you have a mix of M1 native and Intel plugins running on Rosetta2. (Or perhaps since PT is not M1 native yet, all plugins run as Intel code even if they support M1?)

Also how are things on Monterey? Looking to the new MBP's and that's all they run...

-jeremiah