Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2021, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Auto Align Post Update!! Great Improvement in your Dialog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Aaarrgh!
Don't mention the SuperCMIT.
I mixed a film recorded on that and as well as the phase issues the noise floor was terrible and most of this film was outdoors!
The Sound Recordist involved sent it back and went back to the ordinary CMIT's which are great.
I don't know if they have improved it since, but I would not go near it again after that experience.
Yeah, I usually ask recordists to always record the second unprocessed channel if they insist on using that mic. But then the problem is that 99% of boom work is wireless nowadays and sending two signals via AES42 from the boom is not an option most of the time.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:08 AM

Don't like that mic either, and I generally love Schoeps mics

Auto Align Post V2 is generally working well here, had a couple of occasions where it creates clips that sound chorused though, having to keep an eye out for that. Pure guess that that's the all pass filters working too hard.

Pete
Old 11-08-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Wait till you get some tracks recorded with a Schoeps SuperCMIT. That thing does some crazy stuff to the phase which in the past had to be compensated with a custom impulse response to fix the different frequency dependent group delays (available on the Schoeps website).

It was almost impossible to align those tracks in the old days. because the phase was different in the lows and highs. I guess that's the main reason for the new version improvement.
Interesting. I personally never was really convinced by the superCMIT (and its price).

And just like Pete mentioned, I too noticed with v2 some delay/chorus behaviour on certain material. Reimporting and re-processing it fixed the issue.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-08-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Bought an update from my AAP v1.
While I am happy to contribute and support a great domestic company which made a difference in how we work with dialogue tracks today....I can't notice the difference between those two versions
One issue I have had with the v1 plug is that I get these clicks in the 100-200 range from time to time. Not often, but enough that it was annoying. Had one today, and tried the new version on the same material. Click was gone. So it seems to work better I think.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
This Update makes your Dialog sound amazing! Watch the video!
https://www.soundradix.com/products/auto-align-post/
yes. Great update and I did not have to pay really anything for it. $99 upgrade was a deal, but it's worth it at any price.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-13-2021, 12:47 PM

Definitely a plugin that's become one of my indispensables. Simple, quick & effective.

Pete
Old 11-14-2021, 04:57 AM

Tip for the SuperCMIT:

A dx editor I know recently told me that after a bit of comparison the "old" workflow of first using the FIR filter (from the Schoeps website) on the SuperCMIT and then either AApost 1 or 2 still sounds better than the AApost v2 alone so that mic is still a tricky one even with v2. Maybe they need to implement a dedicated SuperCMIT mode that has the FIR filter built in.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Tip for the SuperCMIT:
A dx editor I know recently told me that after a bit of comparison the "old" workflow of first using the FIR filter (from the Schoeps website) on the SuperCMIT and then either AApost 1 or 2 still sounds better than the AApost v2 alone so that mic is still a tricky one even with v2. Maybe they need to implement a dedicated SuperCMIT mode that has the FIR filter built in.

Hi Frank, could you explain your workflow with the FIR filter please.
I found it here:
https://schoeps.de/fileadmin/user_up..._FIR_48kHz.zip

We have an upcoming project where most of the dialog is captured with a Super CMIT. The production sound mixer is recording the unprocessed sound as well. Does one need the FIR filter for both processed an un processed outputs? How do you implement the filter during editing? Do you use the filter when the Super CMIT is source for auto alignment as well? (we mostly align lavs to boom)

Concerning the Auto Align issues with phase in the first version, we noticed that having different frequency HPF on tracks could throw the alignment off i the low end, so we started advising location mixers to keep HPFs at same frequencies on all channels. With v2 that will probably be not necessary anymore (still have to investigate further as it's early days, but first experiments looked good).

I tested the Super CMIT on location when it was released to the market and wasn't very impressed by it at the time. I haven't come across one in projects since, but that will change in December this year, so I'm very curious how you and your dx editor handle it in post, especially with Auto-Align.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 11-14-2021, 11:07 AM

Hi Thierry,

so he uses this

https://auroradsp.com/en/strona-glow...se-loader.html

It renders the processed signal (it will be 6dB lower after but you can pull that back up again) and then does the AApost alignment.
But I guess Altiverb would work too as a convolver.

The INV FIR will correct the group delays before you use AApro.

I don't think the unprocessed output needs it but I can't say for sure.

F
Old 11-15-2021, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Hi Thierry,

I don't think the unprocessed output needs it but I can't say for sure.

F

Thanks for the link. Apparently the unprocessed output doesn't have the same issue. We were researching it this WE after your remark and one of our sound engineers found the thread below on the Jeff Wexler forum, with an answer from Helmut Wittek (Schoeps) himself:

https://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/...issues/&page=2

And I quote:

"Posted December 31, 2016:

I was pointed to this thread about the SuperCMIT latency and I'm happy to comment.
When we designed the SuperCMIT in 2010, we opted for a minimum latency for ch1 at higher frequencies and accepted the compromise that the latency got frequency-dependent. In practice we found no real disadvantage (loudspekers also have a frequency-dependent latency), but nevertheless we told our customers to keep it in mind.
It has always been more a theoretic issue, no practical user identified it as a problem. Actually, there has been one sound engineer that wanted to experiment with the SuperCMIT, ch1, in M/S, where you really need exact phase alignment. For this guy we produced the attached compensation FIR filter.
Remember that the normal CMIT signal on ch2 of the SuperCMIT has a normal, frequency-independent latency. So whenever you need to mix a lav with the Super, simply choose ch2!
When using the SuperCMIT, in my guess 90% of the users use ch1, Preset1, 5% use ch1, Preset2 and 5% ch2. Usually ch2 is only recorded as a backup when the situation makes you doubt the algorithm or when you want to offer an option to post."

Greetings,

Thierry