Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Mixed up 5.1 Outputs

Depending on what SPL monitor controller you have, I have seen this before. IIRC the SPL DB25 has a non standard pinout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteodonoghue View Post
Hi TVPostSound. Sorry, but I don't see how a 5.1 balancing plugin can replace my physical controller for monitor selection?
Firstly, I have the SPL to allow for easy monitor selection and as a master volume for all monitors, while the Spill plugin is for adjusting individual levels of 5.1 output channels.
Second, the SPL is an analog device, taking analog output signals from the Omni, so I don't see how that is where the issue is.

Please could you elaborate about your difficulties with your SPL and Omni. Thanks.
Denver, CO
Old 05-14-2018, 11:27 AM

Attached how it should be set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IO.jpg (40.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Hardware.png (64.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
So I used pink noise to map the outputs:

5.1 L output > Ls Speaker
5.1 C output > Rs Speaker
5.1 R output > C Speaker
5.1 Ls, Rs and LFE don't come out anywhere.
So your SPL is hooked up wrong with the DB-25. SPL uses a non-standard wiring order.
Quote:
in Stereo Mix, I can output though my stereo monitors or with on the SPL to my L and R of my 5.1 monitors, so that works as it should.
But all you are telling us is your outputs on the SPL are wired right for 5.1 not that the inputs on the 5.1 are wired right. And most likely you are using a DB25-DB25 which is the issue when it is non-standard wiring like this.
Quote:
My Bus setup has all my mix channels going though an aux with light compression and my LUFS meter, with the bus going to main 5.1 output. I also have a stereo bus set up going out though the stereo out.
Not looking for what is going on in your session but an actual screenshot of the bus page in I/O setup showing the channels.
Quote:
Sorry, but not sure what you meant by going to Hardware setup > monitor not sure what I am supposed to change there. the Main monitor is set to stereo, but if I change the alt to 5.1, it deactivates the 5.1 output in my I/O and the stereo monitor disappears from I/O. Feel like I have no idea what I'm doing here anymore. this problem is breaking me. Thanks.
TVPostSound posted what it should be setup like and what I do (and what the Omni is supposed to do.) Yes, the 5.1 disappears because it is now assigned to monitoring but it is doing it the right way -- you can send anything to monitoring and then select on the Omni which speaker set you want to use (Main or Alt). You still need the DB25 sending the right order to the SPL (if you want it as a volume knob still)

And just to clarify what happens on most SPL boxes (since you haven't mentioned which one you are using), the Input C 5.1 DB-25 only listens to the first 6 channels (7-8 ignored) so 1 is L, 2 is R, 3 is Ls, 4 is Rs, 5 is C, 6 is LFE. You've started sending from 3 which is is why one issue is happening (L going to Ls) and the other issue is that Ls-Rs follow L and R in the SPL input order.

In any way you look at it if you don't want to use the Omni as the switcher, surround needs to be the first 6 but then you want a separate stereo so you have to go to the Hardware setup and change the mirror on analogue out to 7-8 for TRS (pretty sure that is what you are using for your stereo set) and send stereo out 7-8. Then you can use the SPL as an input switcher (after you fix the track order on 5.1 output in Pro Tools too)

But honestly, don't use the SPL and use the Omni as intended and make life easier.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
I assume you are using a DB25 to DB25 from the Omni to SPL???
Might it be wired wrong?

Remove the SPL from the equation, and tone out the OMNI outputs first.
That is what I am now thinking, I had one specially made up, having sent though the pin diagrams from both manuals to the guys who made it for me, but I can't think of anything else. Only problem is a don't have a breakaway DB25 to female jack cable, so I have no way to test outputs 3-8 of the omni.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
That is what I am now thinking, I had one specially made up, having sent though the pin diagrams from both manuals to the guys who made it for me, but I can't think of anything else. Only problem is a don't have a breakaway DB25 to female jack cable, so I have no way to test outputs 3-8 of the omni.
I have an SM Pro MPatch 5.1 monitor controller which I think is a cheaper copy of the SPL controller.

The Mpatch 5.1 follows the DTS path order which is L R Ls Rs C LFE.

Perhaps the SPL is the same so it might be worth trying the DTS path order.

Good luck!
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.

Last edited by lae777; 05-14-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:06 PM

You need to figure out how the inputs of the SPL are wired and match the outputs of the Omni with the inputs to the SPL. Then do NOT use the monitor controls on the Omni. Or. Completely eliminate the SPL all together and just use the Omni as your monitor controller. Until you have a handle on how things are wired, you will not make headway on this issue.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:26 PM

Yes, my SPL has a nonstandard channel order on the db25 as well, which has made for some fun times. You might consider (if possible) patching through the B set of inputs (inconveniently connectored with RCA jacks) as a test, partly for your own sanity. I too have had special order DB25s come out wrong, so checking that would be a good idea too. The SPL works ok but they really made some odd design choices...

Last edited by philper; 05-15-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:40 AM

Ok, so what I previously had setup in Hardware, was a stereo monitor, expecting the 5.1 source to be outs 3-8. I have since tried to set up a 5.1 monitor as main, (also tried 5.1 as Alt, and main 5.1 with an alt stereo) and now I cannot make an active 5.1 output. Any Path I try to make, with no overlaps is declared inactive.

Also, when I set up the 5.1 main out, my stere signal briefly came out of my Ls Rs speakers. My mind has been boggled into stew, I no longer have any idea on what to do.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:23 AM

I have completely lost track of the hardware side of this conversation. But if your 5.1 paths can’t be made, you may have the wrong settings in your play back engine. On my system every once in a while ProTools thinks that I want to use one of my HDMI screens as a playback device.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 AM

Hi all, been meaning to say thanks to all who have contributed to this thread so far. A quick update:

for those asking for clarity, it is the SPL SMC 5.1 controller, model 2489. It's DB25 pin diagram says its a standard TASCAM cable.

I reset my I/O and Hardware settings and ran a signal test on each out - stereo though 5.1 and (something I somehow didn't think to check before) all the out metering on the Omni was correct, only the stereo was correct on the SPL. then I used the RCA inputs on the SPL to check all the speakers, where everything was correct. So my conclusion is that it is the Stupid DB25 cable I had made up that is wired incorrectly, even though I sent them both pin diagrams from Bothe the omni and SPL manuals, as well as the tascam pin diagram. I have to get another cable made up now to be sure (by someone else!) as I can't buy them off the shelf here, and would take months to order.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll update if there are further issues.