Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-21-2017, 04:52 AM

Default free ADR cueing software

Hi all,
I just thought I'd let you know of useful ADR functionality that's been added to PG PT Session

It could already read Pro Tools Session Info As Text files and export to text & Excel files. It can now convert clips/region groups to ADR sheet PDF files too. It recognizes and uses the common naming and tag scheme:

A track with a name of the form:

KLAUS[KLA]{Actor Name}

Is recognised as
Character:KLAUS
Character code:KLA
Actor:Actor Name

Character/Character code/Actor aren't limited to any particular length, though really long ones may get messy on the printout.

Clips of the form:

"Text for ADR"{note text}[R1][P2][TBW]

Are recognized - with anything after the initial text being optional. More esoteric tags/features aren't there yet.

"the adr text itself"
{any director/editor/actor note} - these can be suppressed on output
[R1] Reason 1 - (can be 1-9) - this can be suppressed on output
[P2] Prority 2 - (can be 1-9) - this can be suppressed on output
[TBW] To Be Written flag - this can be suppressed on output

You can export tracks individually or select multiple ones and do a bulk export - you choose a filename and the Character Name is appended to the respective files.

You can export tracks that aren't ADR cue tracks as such. There are no MIDI or Pro Tools control features yet - and probably some other useful things are missing (if you need those features you probably need one of the commercial offerings)!

Try it, break it, get back to me. It will have new features added over time, get in there and make requests if it'd change it from being useless to useful for you! Also, it's free and will stay free, I use this stuff myself as a working editor & mixer and don't want to run it as a commercial venture.

Pete

Last edited by Pete Gates; 12-25-2022 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:25 AM

Default Re: free ADR cueing software

That's great, thank you Pete!
I'll definitely give it a try!
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:11 PM

PETE,

you are the absolute best!!! Thanks so much. I use EdiCue often but there are instances where I'm at a computer without a license and need to print cue sheets. This is amazing.

If I might request, knowing it's difficult to implement, how about the region group naming side too. Like EdiCue, the ability to highlight a region group and send to app, then name using a series of boxes and a text box?

In any case, this is huge!
Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 PM

Awesome stuff, Pete!
If I may here are two requests:

1. UTF-8 support for languages other than english
2. The possibility to include the character name for each line in the excel sheet. I sometimes need to export a whole script sorted by time not by character.

Thanks, man!

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
1. UTF-8 support for languages other than english
2. The possibility to include the character name for each line in the excel sheet. I sometimes need to export a whole script sorted by time not by character.
Done and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevarela View Post
If I might request ... the ability to highlight a region group and send to app, then name using a series of boxes and a text box?
Sort of done, not 100% happy with it but it sort of works: better on PC than Mac thus far (as is well known, Pro Tools doesn't have a good remote interface other than Eucon - I will investigate what the licensing situation is with that). I'll try and improve it, will take some fiddling.

Pete
Old 03-06-2017, 01:13 PM

Awesome, Pete, thanks!

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-07-2017, 05:38 PM

Awesome Pete!! Love this tool.

Feature suggestion, more for Music sheets than ADR (but not imperative)

The ability to specify what TC range will be exported. Sometimes we have multiple versions of the show in the same PT session.

At the moment, I just sort by TC on export and then delete before/after in Excel. Which is not the end of the world.

Thanks again for the great utility!
Old 03-10-2017, 05:01 PM

Is there a way to do this in reverse? If i were to start out with a spreadsheet with say 100 spot names or ISCI codes in once column and 100 time codes in another column, is there a way to import that as markers into a protools session?

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 03-12-2017, 11:33 PM
Sounds In Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumphries View Post
Is there a way to do this in reverse? If i were to start out with a spreadsheet with say 100 spot names or ISCI codes in once column and 100 time codes in another column, is there a way to import that as markers into a protools session?
EdiMarker (free app) can do this. It can convert a delimited text file containing text and timecodes/footages/MM:SS:MM.SS into a MIDI file that contains markers. Load this MIDI file into Pro Tools to show these markers in a session.

The EdiMarker installer comes with sample files so you can see how to format the text file. Note that Pro Tools markers names are limited to 31 characters. I also have now way to set the comment of a marker.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 03-13-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laki View Post
Feature suggestion, more for Music sheets than ADR (but not imperative) The ability to specify what TC range will be exported. Sometimes we have multiple versions of the show in the same PT session.
1.4.0 up. Fair bit of internal refactoring to allow for TBW list PDFs (these are output in track and T/C order). This has prepared the way for more extensive filtering capabilities to come soon - such as your request. Probably by end of week.

Pete