Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 PM

Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

Even though I am not a dedicated ADR recorder, I made quite allot of ADR as part of my job.
I adapted all the recommendations described above (long ago it was posted here) but some thing are still mysterious for me.
I always have a problem with ADR in the car or even in big buses.
No matter how close and good the actor performs, good mic placement (even tried with lavaliers), same mic (not just the model but the very one used on location). I even use same mixers as pres. Lets say if I recorded with SD788T on location, I will record in the studio through the same one.
I use Altiverb as my main verb or Revibe or VSS3.
Of course I add foley upper body, sfx such as rattling, engine, traffic wheels if needed.
But I never feel that I am satisfied 100% and to me it always keeps sounding ADR.
In fact I can always hear the ADR in the car when watching others movies in cinema.
Being said I can easily achieve nice results for other locations e.g. rooms, corridors, gyms, halls e.t.c.
What are you guys doing for car ADR to sound right? Or whats wrong with me?

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-06-2011, 02:40 PM

I guess its the heavy comb filtering from the car windows that makes such a specific sound. I have had some success recording in a very dead room which sounded a bit car-like. I reckon for anything heavy duty Id try to run a session in a car - they are normally quiet enough for it to work, especially when combined with car engine fx.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:44 PM

Here's what I've been doing lately, and it helps a LOT with the tonal quality of my ADR. After recording and comping the take, I grab a frequency analysis of the original line with Bias' RepliQ, then I grab a frequency analysis of the ADR take and 'morph' it towards the original. Definitely helps place the ADR in the same sonic space as the original.

Of course I'm doing my own mixing on smaller projects. Wouldn't do anything like that for another mixer unless cleared in advance...

Chris
Old 10-13-2017, 04:40 AM

For everyone involved in ADR with Pro Tools, some hot news:

- Gallery's legendary ADRStudio, originally developed for the ADR on StarWars Episodes 1-3, has been reduced in price to just UKP £699 - down from £1195

- Similarly VirtualVTR Pro which incorporates video streamers controlled by ADRStudio or other systems and syncs perfectly to Pro Tools - is down to £999 from £1199

- For spotting with Pro Tools for ADRStudio, SpotStudio is now just £499

Gallery's Website and product pricing has just been completely refreshed, so take a look now at:
http://www.gallery.co.uk

All products are compatible with macOS 10.13 High Sierra and the latest Pro Tools.