Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-11-2010, 04:06 PM

Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.armadillo View Post
- If possible and budget and times allow for it: Record on location.
Really?

I always did that in the past, because I didn't have a studio, but I assumed it was amateruish ....

That said, it worked beautifully, and didn't sound like ADR at all.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:30 PM

This is all great stuff!
I do a little bit of ADR here and there (probably 1 session every couple of months) so its good to hear from the people in the know.
I don't have a lapel mic at all, and generally work with a couple of 416s, one close, one about 4 feet back. (Or swap the close mic for a U87 if requested)
One thing I was wondering, how many takes do you guys average per cue?
and does the recordist do any editing on the fly. (I often cut and finesse takes on the go.)

Personally I think there is nothing worse than bad ADR. I was watching a show last night and the opening scene was all ADR, and it was out of sync, it didn't sound spacially right, and the preformances were wooden.
No matter how good the pictures are, if the dialog isn't working, then the whole scene falls on its butt.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesday View Post
Really?

I always did that in the past, because I didn't have a studio, but I assumed it was amateruish ....

That said, it worked beautifully, and didn't sound like ADR at all.
That's the reason a lot of people are doing it! I first heard of that from the guy who did the sound for "Sacrifice" by Tarkovsky. It helped getting the actors (who hated looping) into the mood. You might have more control over the sound in the studio though, and it's a bit of a pain to setup your rig on location, but I found it really worth it.

Here's a fun clip from the ADR sessions on "The Fantastic Mr. Fox":
http://www.defactosound.com/?p=919
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Amen brotha.

Also - matching mics is always a good idea if possible.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 AM

Re. Fantastic Mr. Fox, that's a brilliant clip!

Its probably obvious but I thought worth mentioning - I think it's vital to get the actor in the same situation as they are in vision. So for instance if the actor is lying down or sitting, the actor should replicate this position during ADR where possible. In the past when I have mixed what I recorded, sometimes I have got actors to turn off mic or move away from the mic to match the action in vision... obviously this leaves you with a more inflexible recording but sometimes it makes things feel more natural.

Will
Old 05-17-2010, 03:29 AM

Hi friends,

I'm new to ADR, I've done it twice successfully but I'm always wanting to learn better and more efficient ways to work. I'll have a big session soon, so I'm loving this thread right now.

I've seen in bigger stages they have a visual cue that helps the actor with timing. I'm wondering about some different techniques you guys use as far as visual and audio cues goes.

What I have done the last few times is to create 3 beeps, 3 seconds apart before the dialogue. It worked but left me thinking, is there a better way?

Does anyone use anything like VoiceQ?

Thanks in advance!

AL.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Sounds In Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL. View Post
What I have done the last few times is to create 3 beeps, 3 seconds apart before the dialogue. It worked but left me thinking, is there a better way?
You can use EdiCue to log your cues within a Pro Tools session. EdiCue uses these cues to create your PDFs as well as midi files to generate beeps and vision commands that can be sent to EdiPrompt. EdiPrompt can display a variety of visual cues including the text of the line. There's a video on the EdiCue page that gives you an overview.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 10-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2step View Post
Amen brotha.

Also - matching mics is always a good idea if possible.
I always make an attempt to contact the sound recordist and find out what mics they used (if they aren't noted in the sound reports) and then hire them in.

Every little helps :)
Old 12-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willco View Post
I think it's vital to get the actor in the same situation as they are in vision. So for instance if the actor is lying down or sitting, the actor should replicate this position during ADR where possible.
Will
I think this is one of the most important and mostly overlooked factors in good ADR.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Back in the mid 80s I did some ADR sessions for a very old-school dialog editor using actual 35mm mag loops with no picture. I would play the loop through the stage monitor 3 times, and then mute it and record the actor saying the line in rhythm. We kept repeating this over and over without stopping the loop until the actor got it right. It was incredibly fast and the actors wound up matching the original rhythm and reading perfectly, but it's no good for changing the performance. Also, my recordist was exhausted at the end of the day from loading all those loops on the dummy.
I still use this technique a lot for ADR. It takes some time to talk the actors into working that way but once they are convinced most of them love it.