Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-28-2007, 06:24 PM

Default How do you move legit OS to new computer?

I'm thinking about building a new computer for PT? I've got an install disc for XP pro and a legit installation on my current box. Is there a way to use this on a new system? I might use the part of the old system to build the new one. And is there a way in windows to determine my serial number for installation, because I have no idea where it is?

BTW, I'm generally happy with my current rig, but I'd like to take advantage in the huge gains in processor speed made in the last 4 years.

Guy

www.guyfi.com
www.flystudiosmilwaukee.com
Old 08-28-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: How do you move legit OS to new computer?

I think you should just be able to run the installer from that disc. As for the serial, you'll need that, and I don't think Windows can collect that for you (would sort of bypass the purpose of it then), but I guess you could call Microsoft and ask them.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 PM

depending on the version you have of XP Retail, Upgrade or OEM will determine whether or not you can migrate it to a new system.

Retail can be reinstalled as often as you like on any machine as I understand. OEM locks to your motherboard, Upgrade is also supposed to lock the computer it installs on. Having said that I have managed to get approval after transferring from one mobo to another. The big key seems to be how often you request a new authorization.

As far as the serial of the current install the same thing happened to my buddy and there are "XP serial code viewers" out there on the web. In as much as its your machine I don't see anything illegal with that. Don't ask me were to look I have no idea.

I Put the sticker on the side of the computer, that way it doesn't get lost....

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 AM

I just built a new system weekend before last and migrated my OS (XP Pro) to the new system with no trouble.
Since my disc is an "upgrade" version, during the install XP asks for a registered copy of a previous version. Since I have a full version of Win2K from years ago I just pop that in, it's recognized as a legitimate copy, and I'm prompted to put my XP disc back in.
The install then proceeds.
I've done this several times over the years as I have two "upgrade" versions of XP Pro, one for my game machine and one for my workstation. Each time I have had no issues with installing (or re-installing) the OS on either machine.