Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-11-2003, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Waves 3.5 very slow to load when PT launches

I'm also beta testing 4.0 and while there's a slight improvement on loading time, it still takes a while. It's a known issue for them, and I guess it's part of the price for such fab tools.
I don't mind the wait, 'cause my PT just isn't PT without Waves.

Cheers,
Old 01-11-2003, 08:51 AM

waves has always slowed the load time of pt on a mac so i guess that pc users were lucky with versions earlier than 3.5...
Old 05-19-2003, 07:13 PM

If Paul Revere had used PT with Waves 3.5, we'd still be under British rule. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2003, 12:15 AM

In case you haven't realized yet, waves plugins always take longer to load than any others. It is due to the fact that waves uses its own DAE instead of the Pro Tools Dae to run all of its plugs. Think of it like this, PT and Waves don't speak the exact same language, so everything is communicated through a translator; the first few sentences are slow-going (the startup sequence), but once everyones comfortable communicating through a translator, the two talk more freely. This problem exists with waves on any Pro Tools platform: HD, TDM, and LE.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cavell:
In case you haven't realized yet, waves plugins always take longer to load than any others. It is due to the fact that waves uses its own DAE instead of the Pro Tools Dae to run all of its plugs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Close by no cigar. DAE stands for 'Digidesign Audio Engine' and it is actually the interface between the ProTools software and the ProTools Hardware.

The Waves plugins are hosted from within the WaveShell. The WaveShell provides the interface to the RTAS plugin engine and the Waves plugin DLL's. The use of the WaveShell allows the Waves plugin DLLs (actual plugin code) to be written once, but interfaced to different plugin API's via the appropriate shells. Ie. WaveShell-RTAS for the RTAS hosts, and WaveShell-VST for VST hosts. This eliminates the need for them to re-write their low-level code for different host API's which speeds up development time and thankfully for us gives us access to the same plugins that are available for other plugin formats.

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 05-20-2003, 02:02 AM

The waves plugins are so slow, they has to speed up to stop [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2003, 06:54 AM

Thats exactly what I meant marcus. Thanks for clearing up my diminishing memory.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:26 AM

Anyone know if there is a way to selectively load the waves plug-ins? I have the Gold package and althought I find some of the plug-ins to be invaluable, there are probably ~1/2 that I never use and do not need to load. At the same time, I would like to keep the option of loading them in the future. Unlike other plug ins, the wave shell does not provide the option of using the plug in folder to select which plug ins are loaded. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2003, 11:32 AM

yeah I got the same problem with WAVES.
It's not only protools that has problems with waves logic has them also. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2003, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clam:
Anyone know if there is a way to selectively load the waves plug-ins? I have the Gold package and althought I find some of the plug-ins to be invaluable, there are probably ~1/2 that I never use and do not need to load. At the same time, I would like to keep the option of loading them in the future. Unlike other plug ins, the wave shell does not provide the option of using the plug in folder to select which plug ins are loaded. Thanks!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">go to the execute utility and type "regedit".
once there, browse for <Hkey_classes_root\filter> and delete the keys you don't want... it's possible to delete plugin configurations only ( like Q6,Q8,PAZmeters-mono,...) if this is too difficult and you want whole plugins to dissapear, it's easier to do it in <Program files\Waves\plugins>. just take out any dll. for both ways you can drag the files in a backup folder, instead of deleting them. then you can put them back when needed...
on the other hand, i have to admit that some Digi plugins take even longer to load as one Waves plugin. the gold bundle are about 20 plugs in different configurations. i think it's normal that it takes a while. you could blame Digi for the long startup procedure of PT. whatever. if there are no (readnly a few) bugs or crashes, i can live with it.
grtzzz.