Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-15-2018, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Mixed up 5.1 Outputs

First things first, take a breath and start over. Everyone here is trying to help but we need important info in order to do that.
1.in Pro Tools check your playback engine. Should be the Omni and always the Omni.
2. Delete all current outpaths in your I/O setup. When there are none left, create 1 5.1 path. Just one for now. Call it Main Output if you want. You can check the box that says “automatically create subpaths” if youd like.

3.on the Bus page in i/o choose a 5.1 monitor Bus to assign to the physical output you just made. Call it Main Monitor or something.

4. Get a db25 to xlr breakout cable. Buy or rent it.

5. Plug each xlr into one powered speaker one at a time. For each xlr 1 through 6 send tone from a track in pro tools whos output is routed to the output you just created. Use the surround panner on the track to select each assigned output

7. If the order of your output path is L C R Lfe Ls Rs. Then the order of each XLR from the db25 cable will be. 1-Left 2-center 3-right 4-Lfe 5-Left surr. 6-Right surr

8. Once youve confirmed that all the outputs of the omni are correct you will need to figure out the channel order and pin assignments on the connecter to the SPL INPUTS. According to some previous posts you may need to rebuild your cables, OR just reorder the channels assignments in the I/O page.

If you don’t want to remake your cable then the channel order in Pro Tools should be this according to the attached pin diagrams. The first picture is the Avid Omni pin assignments.

LEFT RIGHT LEFT SURR RIGHT SURR CENTER LFE.

Make this the channel order on the outputs panel in the I/O
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B266FCA3-A683-419E-9B2F-7AB495839C7F.jpg (21.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg B3897896-61EC-4D10-B2AF-F0EB5B6323D4.jpg (47.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-15-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteodonoghue View Post
Hi all, been meaning to say thanks to all who have contributed to this thread so far. A quick update:

for those asking for clarity, it is the SPL SMC 5.1 controller, model 2489. It's DB25 pin diagram says its a standard TASCAM cable.

I reset my I/O and Hardware settings and ran a signal test on each out - stereo though 5.1 and (something I somehow didn't think to check before) all the out metering on the Omni was correct, only the stereo was correct on the SPL. then I used the RCA inputs on the SPL to check all the speakers, where everything was correct. So my conclusion is that it is the Stupid DB25 cable I had made up that is wired incorrectly, even though I sent them both pin diagrams from Bothe the omni and SPL manuals, as well as the tascam pin diagram. I have to get another cable made up now to be sure (by someone else!) as I can't buy them off the shelf here, and would take months to order.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll update if there are further issues.
Ill repeat!!

Please remove the SPL from your workflow. So you can get back to doing what you love...MIXING!!
The Omni HD is all you need.
Ive never looked back.
Im using 5.1 setup for 5.1 and stereo monitoring, and Avantones on the Alt, for small speaker monitoring.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:40 AM

Hi All, final update. Sorry for the delay, but once I got everything working I had a lot of work to catch up on.

So, the cable was fine, unfortunately, sending me back to square 1.

I set up the 5.1 monitor in hardware with alt stereo on 7-8. then, realized my biggest mistake in the process, and went into I/O bus setup to link my outputs to the new monitor setup. Having moved from Pro tools standard and mixing stereo, this didn't even cross my mind as stereo outs came linked here and I never had to change it. Linked this and though a bit of trial and error had to re-sort the output order in Hardware of the 5.1 channels to L, R, Ls, Rs, C, LFE and all works beautifully with the SPL, its great to have a master volume control and speaker isolator and all is working as planned. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteodonoghue View Post
Hi All, final update. Sorry for the delay, but once I got everything working I had a lot of work to catch up on.

So, the cable was fine, unfortunately, sending me back to square 1.

I set up the 5.1 monitor in hardware with alt stereo on 7-8. then, realized my biggest mistake in the process, and went into I/O bus setup to link my outputs to the new monitor setup. Having moved from Pro tools standard and mixing stereo, this didn't even cross my mind as stereo outs came linked here and I never had to change it. Linked this and though a bit of trial and error had to re-sort the output order in Hardware of the 5.1 channels to L, R, Ls, Rs, C, LFE and all works beautifully with the SPL, its great to have a master volume control and speaker isolator and all is working as planned. Thanks for all the help.
Bumping this old thread!

Are you still using the omni + the SPL 2489?

Had identical problem as you last weekend. I ended up bypassing the monitor section on the OMNI, since I had a tight deadline and had to make it work.
I’ve had this omni+spl setup since 2014 with great success.

The problem started with an internal PT 5.1 bus not working, and me starting to fiddle with my until then perfectly working I/O setup.

Now I’m thinking of getting rid of the SPL. I use the optical output from my Mac Pro 2013 to monitor Izotope RX and Sound Miner flawlessly, but with my new I/O setup I have to bus the latter into PT via a bus with Mac Pro spdif output as an input in PT, not as streamlined as it used to be.

Kind regards from Sweden
Old 07-07-2023, 10:30 PM

I am using it and it works fine. I recently had a couple power outages here that seemed to mess with my HD Omni. I also had the alt button pressed on the HD omni so everything was in stereo for a second :)

One thing to try is to turn off your computer and hardware and turn it back on. Besides that, it's in the hardware window or IO window in Pro Tools, or something on your physical SPL 2489 (there's only so many buttons) or HD Omni. Here's a screenshot of my settings.

One thing that confuses people about the SPL is that it's standard film surround format (buttons) in the front, but DTS format (outputs) in the back (kind of like a mullet).
Attached Images
File Type: png My settings.png (58.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bus.jpg (30.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Output.jpg (27.6 KB, 0 views)