Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-18-2021, 11:30 AM

Default Adobe Audition OMF export issue

Hello,

I am trying to export an AA session to Protools. The process I am using involves the following:

File > Export > OMF

Media: Referenced
Media format: WAV
Media options: Use entire file

Audition proceeds to make multiple passes in generating audio files, maybe it’s going track by track, but it goes through multiple rounds of file generation. Meanwhile, the target destination drive is filling up quickly with huge files. What appears to be happening is that for every clip that appears in the timeline/edit, Audition is creating a copy of that clip’s parent file and naming it according to the clip id. So if 18 clips of parent file AUDIO 1 (size 100mb) are in the timeline, Audition is providing me with 18 (100mb) copies of that parent file, for what could be a 3 second clip of room tone. The original Audition session was 19gb, the resultant Protools session is 480gb.

When I realized Audition was doing this, I thought I might be able to just delete the additional copies and point Protools to the single source file, but in the linking process, PT requires that each audio file link to its own source file.

What I ended up doing was linking to all 1145 WAV files and then compacting the audio clips, including a 20 sec handle for the editor. This brought the file size down to 14gb. Never thought I would be so thrilled for a 14gb PT session.

Anybody know what to do here? I wrote to Adobe, but haven’t heard back yet. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Mitch Hanley
Old 11-18-2021, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Adobe Audition OMF export issue

Set Audition to trim with handles instead of copy whole files.

The export from Audition isn't great.