Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-03-2021, 08:34 AM

Default 5.1 import wrong order

Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem I have on Pro Tools.

I have an MP4 (H264) with 5.1 audio. I have opened this file on iTunes and i can hear the center channel in the center, left on left and so on. But when I import the video into PT the center channel appears to be on the first channel, and i can hear it on the left.

I open a mono track and pan it to each speaker and everything is fine.
I open the video in Premiere and every track is labelled correctly and ordered in SMPTE.

I can't figure out what I am missing here. Thank you very much.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:23 PM

Default Re: 5.1 import wrong order

Ive been experiencing this for a number of years now, and never found a neat solution. For the most part, I now lay up WIPs using Resolve. I think it goes beyond just a standard routing issue when the centre channel in any SMPTE or Film format 5.1 file starts appearing in the left channel.

Between Pro Tools and OSX, it’s a bit of a minefield. OSX seems to have a long running bug in its surround setup when 7.1 is selected. The centre channel appears in one of the surrounds, and the required channel routing to fix it is mystifying.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDoubtfire View Post
I have an MP4 (H264) with 5.1 audio. I have opened this file on iTunes and i can hear the center channel in the center, left on left and so on. But when I import the video into PT the center channel appears to be on the first channel, and i can hear it on the left.
I have experienced this when the mp4 was a DTS rip from a BLuray.
I just split all the tracks into mono, move the mono tracks into the LCRLsRsLfe order as the PT 5.1 bus wants it and copy the mono clips back into a 5.1 audio track.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I actually updated PT and it was all fixed