Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 09-29-2021, 06:14 AM

Default Lost all PTF projects

Hey, I had all of my projects saved locally on PTF. It has worked for what I do for as long as I have been making music. A couple of days ago, though, I opened PTF and all of my projects were gone. I looked everywhere for them, but I could not find them. If there is a reason for this happening I would love to know. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2021, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Lost all PTF projects

Hello and welcome to the forums.

It's really hard to tell what happened without knowing more about your system and any recent changes to it, but I'll try and help.

In Pro Tools First, projects that are saved locally are stored in a project cache. If I'm not mistaken, the cache can be found under 'Documents/Pro Tools/Project Cache' or something similar. If you look in that folder, you should see a bunch of folders with unique names and in each of them there should be a bunch of files, which are your songs.

If you happened to delete these files, then your project will no longer be available to PTF. If you recently upgraded your system or have run something to free up space, there is a good change those files were deleted.

If you do have the files and folders, then I'm not sure why PTF is not seeing them anymore. It's possible there is a permissions issue like if you recently started using a new user account on that computer or something similar.

Anyway, I hope that helps and hope you can find your projects.

System Details
Old 10-03-2021, 02:16 PM

Ok, so I had recently changed an account, and I was able to find the old files in another account on my computer. I copied them into the folder 'Documents/Pro Tools/Project Cache' because I assumed that was where they need to be, but when I opened up PTF they weren't there. Attached is a pic of the inside of one of my project cache folders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-10-03 171325.jpg (30.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-04-2021, 07:42 AM

The Project Cache folder and its contents should not be moved or changed - any/all changes (including renaming the Project) should be made within Pro Tools.

Your best bet is to go back to the original account to finish these projects. If they are stored in the cloud, then you can switch computer accounts, load Pro Tools and sync them to the new account.

System Details
Old 10-04-2021, 10:20 AM

Ok! Thanks so much for your help!