Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2021, 07:46 AM

Default MTRX Studio with Atmos and Stereo together

Currently running my MTRX Studio in stereo using monitor outs to feed my Dangerous Monitor Controller and ATC/NS10/Auratone combo. Diving into the Atmos world for projects that require it but the bulk of my work will be stereo, so ideally I'd prefer to keep my stereo system as is and then just add on my Atmos speakers using the 1-16 analog outputs on the MTRX.

I know I'd have to configure this all in DADman, but my sales rep basically told me I'd be better off getting rid of my ns-10's/Auratones and just adding the additional atmos speakers to my ATC's. I don't really want to do that...

So my question isn't how to do it yet (I assume I'd have to customize 2 monitor profiles in DADman and swap between them) but more so - can I do it? Basically keep the dangerous/atc/ns10/auratone combo coming from the monitor outs and then have my separate 7.1.4 system using the analog outs, then controlling volume with the AVID Control App? Using one computer for the system with the Production suite fyi.

Last edited by MPizzaMusic; 10-10-2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:36 PM
Avid

Default Re: MTRX Studio with Atmos and Stereo together

Yes you can do this.

Create a Monitor Profile composed of at least 2 Monitors configured as such:

(1) Stereo Monitor:
Sources = DigiLink 1-2 coming from Pro Tools as a standard Stereo Source.
Additional Sources can be added for DVS, Analog, ADAT, etc.
Outputs = Create a new Stereo Output Set - assigned to DA 1-2 = Monitors = TRS Outputs on the MTRX ST.

Add a second Monitor (by right clicking within the blank area of Settings > Monitor ) via Add Monitor.

(2) Dolby Atmos
Sources = DigiLink 1-12 (assuming you are using Dolby Audio Bridge and then outputs come from the Dolby Renderer using your HDX + MTRX Studio hardware. Give this a unique name such as DigiLink 7.1.4.
Outputs = Create a new 12 Channel Output using the Preset 7.1.4 group in DADman if that's the format you intend to work in. Assign DA channels 3-14 in the appropriate order for your speakers.

For Monitor 1 above - if you using only 1 source and one output and all of the faders are at unity you will simply be feeding out to attenuate via your Dangerous Monitoring system which is fine.

For Monitor 2, make sure you enable EUCON in DADman and install the latest EuControl software onto your workstation. Add an Avid Control client on the same network and then you can access the Monitoring tab within Avid Control to communicate with the Monitor Profile. Your choice regarding how you allocate between the 5 EUCON enabled monitors in DADman. Supported includes 1 Control Room + 4 Monitors/Cues.

I would set EUCON mode (right click on the Monitor) for Monitor 1 to none - so that you can't accidentally adjust it from EUCON / Avid Control.

For Monitor 2 (Atmos) - I would set that to the primary Control Room. So ->
right click on the Monitor in DADman > Settings > Monitor and Set EUCON mode to Control Room.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-10-2021, 04:38 PM

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, this is extremely helpful.

Essentially DigiLink 1-2 will be feeding both TRS outputs and DA 3-4 simultaneously in one Monitor Profile? (just wrapping my head around the routing on this) So if I'm working in stereo I just make sure volume is muted in Avid Control, and vise vera when in Atmos make sure my dangerous controller is muted?

Last edited by MPizzaMusic; 10-10-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:56 PM
Avid

Yes, you would have multiple Sources defined that funnel Pro Tools into MTRX:
DigiLink Stereo (or whatever else you want to name it) which is part of your scenario when only working in Stereo - which feeds the main stereo Mix out of Pro Tools (using a stereo IO setup template) -> into MTRX.

Yes, you would want to mute your stereo speakers + Dangerous when working in Atmos. The 2nd Pro Tools source (let's call DigiLink 7.1.4) also includes the 1-2 but only operates when you are working in Atmos. This allows you to have 2 completely different ways to monitor within in the same Monitor Profile (.dmprof file). Hope this makes sense.

DigiLink Stereo:
Source = DigiLink 1 + DigiLink 2

DigiLink 7.1.4
Source = DigiLink 1 -> DigiLink 12

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-11-2021, 05:10 AM

Makes perfect sense. Thank you for this Jeff!
Old 10-11-2021, 12:28 PM
Avid

Here's a collection of Monitor Profiles for MTRX Studio ->
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uxty86enf...buMixkJka?dl=0

And here's one created for your use case ->
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5cb90g869...se.dmprof?dl=0

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 03-16-2022, 09:55 PM

Hello! Novice follow on to this question:

What's the advantage of using two separate monitors here vs using two outputs of the same monitor? Is this so you can have both monitors happening simultaneously? Wouldn't you avoid the MUTE problem by just having the sources go to either your 7.1.4 or 2.0 speakers based on the output?

Also, if one were to do this method, is it best to have, say, Digilink In (from PT) 1/2 always be used for stereo and start your Atmos mixes at Ch 3 and re-renders after that?

Thanks for indulging me, still trying to learn here!

Brian
Old 04-08-2022, 11:17 PM

Quick follow up on this: What’s the advantage here of creating a second monitor vs using 2 outputs of the same monitor?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2022, 04:58 AM
Avid

Greetings,

It's really about the simplicity of compartmentalizing a work style within a Monitor.

The advantage of splitting them out is the ability to quickly switch hats based on workflow - and have a clean visual representation of the sources and outputs contained within that monitor.

If you work in stereo - you many want Pro Tools / DigiLink Stereo, DVS - System Audio Stereo and perhaps some external analog sources, mono or stereo.

When working in channel based surround or Atmos you may want a multichannel (7.1.4, 9.1.6) return via Dante or MADI from the Renderer, DigiLink for Pro Tools up to 7.1.2, DVS for auditioning sound effects or other system sounds up to 7.1.2.

When you start to include HP monitors it is nice to be able to simply Add Existing source - selecting either the Stereo or the 7.1.2 DigiLink Source path - without engaging the Fold Down matrix.

You can have up to 16 monitors in DADman so it makes sense to use multiple to facilitate different workflows.

Some of those concepts are also described here in this doc ->
https://www.dropbox.com/s/md2ktxtuy0...ource.pdf?dl=0

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-14-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPizzaMusic View Post
Currently running my MTRX Studio in stereo using monitor outs to feed my Dangerous Monitor Controller and ATC/NS10/Auratone combo. Diving into the Atmos world for projects that require it but the bulk of my work will be stereo, so ideally I'd prefer to keep my stereo system as is and then just add on my Atmos speakers using the 1-16 analog outputs on the MTRX.

I know I'd have to configure this all in DADman, but my sales rep basically told me I'd be better off getting rid of my ns-10's/Auratones and just adding the additional atmos speakers to my ATC's. I don't really want to do that...

So my question isn't how to do it yet (I assume I'd have to customize 2 monitor profiles in DADman and swap between them) but more so - can I do it? Basically keep the dangerous/atc/ns10/auratone combo coming from the monitor outs and then have my separate 7.1.4 system using the analog outs, then controlling volume with the AVID Control App? Using one computer for the system with the Production suite fyi.
Jeff is correct. This is one of the reasons I sold my Dangerous ST/SR. After talking to the Dangerous people, they told me in late 2020, they told me that because of the pandemic, they were way behind on getting their R&D on really building a Atmos compatible setup. The only solution they had at the time was to buy another module and chain them together, which was not efficient enough for me. I also know that one of the sale people bought Dangerous Music after the long time owner retired. Have heard that this might be a problem for the companies direction. Glad you got it sorted.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS