Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 10-07-2021, 02:06 PM

Default PTF plugin latency dilemma

How can I hear my processed guitar using bundled plugins I got with my Focusrite 2i2 with my Pro Tools First using low latency? With low latency on I hear an unprocessed clean guitar, very sterile. Please be patient, I am a new user of this software. I am debating on whether or not to go back to using a Tonelab desktop directly in to the 2i2 as I have had no problem with that at all, obviously.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:20 AM

Default Re: PTF plugin latency dilemma

What you are describing is exactly what Low Latency Monitoring does:

Low latency monitoring will mute the output of any record-enabled tracks in Pro Tools so that you only hear the direct signal coming from your interface. Low latency monitoring is designed this way to prevent the latent signal that travels from your interface, through your DAW, and back out to your interface from mixing with the direct signal so that there is no delay.

If you are getting unacceptable latency with it turned off, then your audio interface is the culprit. I’m not sure what kind of system you are on, but in your Focusrite settings, try lowering the buffer size, which should lower the latency. If you start getting clicks and pops in the audio, then the buffer is too small for your system to handle and you will have to increase it.

System Details