Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Default Noise with playback

I just bought a new macbook pro and am setting up pro tools m-powered 8.0.5 with a fast track pro peripheral. When I load a session and play it back I'm getting a kind of gritty digital white noise. It happens even on single track files with no plug-ins. I put the play back engine as high as it will go to no avail. Does anyone know what is causing this?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Noise with playback

What are you using for a hard-drive? Using the internal drive of your new MBPro is NOT recommended and would probably cause the noise bursts. Are you getting any DAE errors as well? Something that says "ProTools can't get audio fast enough from your drive"?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:33 AM

Thanks for responding. Yes, I am using the internal hard drive. I know its not recommended but it was my only option with my old pc laptop and it worked fine. I don't get a message saying that PT can't get audio fast enough. But I do get a message when I'm loading a session saying, "The original disk allocation cannot be used, check disk allocation window to see what's changed." But I figured that was just because I've been moving session files around to get it onto my new computer. Also, the noise in constant, not just in bursts, just to clarify. I hope this sheds some new light.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 PM

Exclamation Re: Noise with playback

Hello I have a question relating to the noise with playback issue, I just recently purchased Pro Tools 9 and I am using a M-Audio Firewire Solo interface on a Macbook (black) late 2007 model. Pro Tool 9 was working fine but my computer's volume was not working properly, it was showing the speaker icon with a circle with a diagonal line through it when I tried to turn the volume up or down for regular everyday use. So yesterday I decided to go to System Preferences-->Sound. I then changed my Output & Input not paying attention to what they were set originally set to thinking I fixed my sound problem with the internal speakers. Later when I tried to open Pro Tools 9 it would give me a error message stating something about the "sound module wasnt set up correctly" and would quit. So I fixed that problem by pressing the letter "N" while Pro Tools 9 was starting up and set the playback engine to "Solo" for my firewire solo, then when I opened up a session and played a song I could barely hear they actually music because of the over powering static noise or white noise I'm getting. If anyone knows a solution to this problem I created for myself PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks in advance

Jeremy
Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 PM

and Yes I am getting the error message "Pro Tools is not getting playback fast enough