Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2010, 08:41 AM

Default Profire lightbridge and MP PT users

I would like to invite all the Lightbridge users, recording multiple tracks in PT MPowered to chip in to the discussion.

I am thinking about going over to Mpowere ProTools and build a nice mobile recording rig, to go on the road and record live sessions.
I know my way around PT, and would not waste time learning new softwares, but try to make the most out of PT.

So how are you using Lightbridge? Converters, clocking...

Do you use 32 inputs with 7.3 PT ?

Which OS (is it possible to use Leopard with PT 7.3.)

Is it possible to go SMUX with PT Mpowered?

record on external drive?

Any bad expirience?

Any suggestions?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Profire lightbridge and MP PT users

I use the ProFire Lightbridge with Pro Tools 8.0.3

I run my analog preamps (Great River, API, Bellari) through my Lynx Studio Aurora 8 then into the Lightbridge.

It works well.

The Lightbridge is not fully compatible with Snow Leopard yet.

I have two big problems with it. (1) It doesn't accept clocking through it's BNC connectors while recording at either 88.2 or 96. In order to have it be a slave to another source at those sample rates you have to accept clocking via ADAT. Which is fine, except........ then it doesn't let you receive audio through that input. (2) YOU CAN'T ACCEPT CLOCKING AND AUDIO THROUGH THE SAME ADAT INPUT SIMULTANEOUSLY. that sucks balls if you ask me.

I just do 16 channels of SMUX with the Lightbridge as the master clock. It's not my preference but M-Audio won't let you clock it any other way without loosing an input.....

i heard that you could record 32 tracks in PT 7.3. It was a mistake or something.

if you record with an external drive, experiment with which device you plug in first. I ended up connecting my external HD with USB on my old system. so they both weren't using my firewire buss. now i have four internal drives in my mac pro, so no prob now.

it's a cool unit. the only thing like it out there, at least when I was looking. but all my thousands of dollars of gear is running through a piece i bought for $200... I'd rather not use an m-audio piece but this is the only way for me to use my nice ADDA converters.

hope that helps

www.myspace.com/drewallsbrook
Old 03-20-2010, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Profire lightbridge and MP PT users

Hi there,
I did the same thing two years ago, switched to PT M-Powered with the M-Audio Lightbridge and tried to use it for at least over a hundred and more Live Recordings. I started with PT 7.1.. I finally stopped using PT M-Powered for recording. It's just not reliable. I am using Reaper now for a year and it never failed!!! Since Reaper works fine with the Lightbridge I would say it's a PT issue. Also with Reaper you can use all 32 Inputs. With PT (excluding 7.1) you only have 18. What a stupid Quatsch!!!