Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2014, 04:00 AM

Default Edit/Mix Window Follows Bank Selection

Does this work on S3? Hope it is not another Artist never fix!
System#1
PT 10HD Harpertown Lion
HD4 Accel Magma PE6R4-I
Motu PCI-424e
ProControl 32 Faders

System#2
PT 11 and 10.3.6 2012 Westmere Mountain Lion
HDX
MC Mix - MC Control - MC transport - MC Mix with Command 8
Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Edit/Mix Window Follows Bank Selection

Anyone? I am considering purchase need Monitor to following banking like ProControl/Command 8/Icon. Avid does it work?
Thanks
System#1
PT 10HD Harpertown Lion
HD4 Accel Magma PE6R4-I
Motu PCI-424e
ProControl 32 Faders

System#2
HDX
Old 12-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtn View Post
Anyone? I am considering purchase need Monitor to following banking like ProControl/Command 8/Icon. Avid does it work?
Thanks
The Mix/Edit window in Pro Tools doesn't follow banking around on the surface. I'm working with a post mixer now on a video tutorial and he likes to use the feature where you scroll the windows in Pro Tools and when you select a channel by clicking on the name plate, the surface follows.

Hope you can make our December 9th webcast on the S3 and I'll be sure to pass along your feature request.

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 12-01-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
The Mix/Edit window in Pro Tools doesn't follow banking around on the surface. I'm working with a post mixer now on a video tutorial and he likes to use the feature where you scroll the windows in Pro Tools and when you select a channel by clicking on the name plate, the surface follows.

Hope you can make our December 9th webcast on the S3 and I'll be sure to pass along your feature request.
I'm going to tune in for the webcast, but I have to say: it's extremely disappointing that this "feature" is still not present on the Artist Series controllers and now the S3. I think it's kind of silly to even call it a "feature". Seems like base functionality to me. The whole point of a control surface is to put down the mouse.

It's my understanding that this feature works in Cubase and possibly some other DAWs. I find it odd that Avid owns the protocol and doesn't integrate it as fully as other companies do for their software. The cynical side of me would say it's intentional whether it's spoken of honestly or not.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I've been putting off purchase of a control surface for a very long time for this very reason. My main DAW has been Pro Tools and the Artist Series is what I would like to buy. But this missing feature as well as the general atmosphere surrounding Eucon and it's reliability have stopped me from pulling the trigger. And I would certainly never consider $5k (S3) for a controller that was, in my personal opinion, incomplete without this functionality.

The fact that Cubase supports the protocol more completely (at least the portions important to me) and also the introduction of the new Pro Tools licensing model are the two primary reasons I'll be moving to Cubase when version 8 is released. I know you probably don't care about little old me and I won't let the door hit me in the #$@ on the way out. But I may be a decent barometer for a significant portion of your user demographic, so it's probably not a good idea to ignore me completely.

And I know I speak for more than a few Artist Series customers when I say it would be awfully nice if Avid was transparent about it's lack of intention of including this feature on anything but the flagship consoles if that is the truth of that matter.

I trust that you'll pass on the feature request. It's been passed on through the Artist Series forum for years.

Again, I apologize for the rant. I'm done now.

Dan
Old 12-01-2014, 12:54 PM

Thanks Tom
System#1
PT 10HD Harpertown Lion
HD4 Accel Magma PE6R4-I
Motu PCI-424e
ProControl 32 Faders

System#2
HDX
Old 12-08-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
The Mix/Edit window in Pro Tools doesn't follow banking around on the surface.
I can't believe that you guys didn't address that. That feature was the only Deal Breaker for me and so many more that led all of us to not purchase the Artist series. How in the world could Avid miss such an important feature. I know you all are aware because it was my thread where you guys were chiming in looking for features, the eventually led up to the introducing of the S3.

You know...This one....The number 4 in the list of the most talked about threads on the Artist.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350292

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I can't believe that you guys didn't address that. That feature was the only Deal Breaker for me and so many more that led all of us to not purchase the Artist series. How in the world could Avid miss such an important feature. I know you all are aware because it was my thread where you guys were chiming in looking for features, the eventually led up to the introducing of the S3.

You know...This one....The number 4 in the list of the most talked about threads on the Artist.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350292
Thanks Barry,

We brought it up on the webinar today and confirmed it is logged as a bug to be fixed.

Best,
Tom

[email protected]

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
Old 12-09-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks Barry,

We brought it up on the webinar today and confirmed it is logged as a bug to be fixed.

Best,
Tom
For the Artists too?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
For the Artists too?
Yes, for the Artists too.

[email protected]

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
Old 01-24-2015, 12:21 AM

I agree this is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. However, while using my S3 today I stumbled upon a workaround. If you hold down control (mac) and select a channel, it will scroll that channel to the left most part of the mix window, or the top of the edit window. Seems to function similar to if you right click a channel name and select scroll into view. Have been using this all day on a huge mix session and it is helpful.