Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-06-2014, 07:35 PM

Default Anyone using New Mac Pro with Avid Thunderbolt Native box?

Well, the title says it all, kind of...

The first question is really about the New Mac Pro computers. Are they working well with Pro Tools or are there problems? I've searched the DUC and haven't really found that much info on people who are using the new Mac Pro's.

Secondarily, if anyone out there *does* have a new Mac Pro, might you be using it with Avid's HD Native Thunderbolt box? Any known issues there?

And actually, there is a third question. I found this page http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ers#interfaces, and it appears that the new Mac Pro is only qualified with PT11 and not specifically PT10. Anyone know about this or have experience running PT10 on one of these new Mac Pro computers? That would be a drag if they won't work with PT10...

Thanks in advance for any info you might be willing to share...
Old 06-06-2014, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Anyone using New Mac Pro with Avid Thunderbolt Native box?

The reason PT10 is not listed is because PT10 is not supported with Mavericks. The new Mac Pro has only shipped with Mavericks since it became available. If Avid updates PT10 to work with Mavericks, it should be fine (there's nothing specific about the Mac Pro that would make it not work).

However, it's not looking like Avid will be updating PT10 to work with Mavericks, especially with OS Yosemite coming out this fall (leaving PT10 behind even more).

As for the new Mac Pro, it seems to work fine with both HDX and HD Native (either Thunderbolt or PCIe in a chassis).

There have been several threads about it, both here and on Gearslutz, but I can't locate them.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:30 AM

I have a nMP and Thunderbolt box/OMNI. I don't even remember when PT crashed last time during session. Also no cpu hiccup error messages (which I had sometimes with my previous Mac). I even got my Artist series (Mix+Transport) to work with this setup. I am very happy I bought trashcan, because it has all the power I need + I don't have to place computer far away in isolation box anymore. I'm using Lacie's Rugged disks (bus powered), so no noise from hd's either.
I haven't try PT10 with nMP.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:14 PM

I'm using the new Mac Pro with HDN Thunderbolt. It's stable ''most'' of the time as i still get 90xx error out of the blue sometimes.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 AM

Vudoo, do you ever use PT10 on it or just PT11? I'm not even sure whether it can run PT10...
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM

I'm only using PT11.

So far…

Pros:
- the new Mac Pro is FAST
- Extremely quiet, i'm quite stunned, for a machine that offers that kind of horse power, it is practically silent.
- If you do video post as well this is the first mac that offers dual professional GPU. I use it with Davinci and it comes surprisingly close in performance to my Z820 + external multi GPU chassie that i paid close to 20k last year

Cons:
- The machine itself might be quiet BUT as a professional audio/video editor/mixer, you will most likely have a tons of stuff hook up to it…such as Raid drive, professional video card, PCIe cards in a Sonnet or Magma Chassie…. all these peripherals make a LOT of noises and they will most likely be not too far from your nMP because of the maximum thunderbolt length cable, so you might still end up with a noisy work environment.

Bottom line, go for it, it's a great machine and quite affordable too!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Vudoo, thanks for the info.

How many cores did you get?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 AM

I got the 6 cores, 512 GB SSD, dual AMD D700 GPU..if you only do audio, the base model @ 3K would be plenty.