How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2011, 11:32 AM

Default A little iLok adventure...

Dear Mr. Cronce:

I hope you are the person that can help me.

I recently purchased a new Pace iLok 2. I've had the original iLok for many years but, according to all the advertising, the new one is smaller and more durable. I have a Pro Tools setup at my home and at my commercial studio and I take the iLok with me wherever I go. After a little over one month's use, the plastic keychain loop broke. It wasn't getting heavy use- it was in my pocket. The data is fine but the defective plastic doesn't make me happy.

I can't find anywhere on your site that deals specifically with the warranty. Trying to get it replaced through your website's RA Department ends up with me having to re-purchase ZDT coverage. The ZDT covers data (which is intact) and shouldn't apply here. I'm just trying to get the defective unit replaced per the warranty terms. I have my old iLok to store data until I receive a new one.

If you're not the right person please forward this to the person who handles warranty transactions.

Thank you,
Fred Porter

Hello Fred,

I can definitely forward this to our RMA department for you. To ensure I relay accurate information, the loop opposite to the USB connector on the iLok has been broken? And the iLok does still work? If you could attach a picture that would be most appreciated, but if not as long as you confirm I have a clear understanding of the problem that would work as well.

Generally speaking, RMA orders do not require Zero Downtime coverage. It is optional.

In this case since you have moved your licenses to another iLok, there is no reason to have ZDT since you still have access to the licenses. When you submit an RMA order for a broken iLok, we authorize your credit card (not charge) and send you a replacement iLok immediately. If the RMA is under warranty when we receive it, we process the RMA order without charging your credit card. The authorization will most likely show as a "pending" transaction, but will not remove funds from your account. If the iLok is not under warranty, we then charge the RMA fee at the completion of the RMA order.

Please let me know if you have any questions on this process. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Sam
iLok.com Technical Support

Sam:

Thanks for the quick response. Here is a picture of the iLok. Will you send me something for the RA or is there a page where I can initiate the RA on your site? If so, what is that page? Do I need to get all licenses off the broken iLok before starting the process?

Sincerely,
Fred Porter

Hello Fred,

Thank you for the picture of the iLok. iLok.com specifically excludes physically damaged iLoks from being eligible for warranty replacement. So unfortunately in this case the iLok would not be covered by our warranty. However, if you would still like to replace the iLok you can purchase an iLok and move the licenses over from the damaged iLok.

Best Regards,
Sam
iLok.com Technical Support

Sam:

I missed your reply. I've had my first generation iLok for many years and experienced no problems whatsoever. I saw your iLok 2 marketing, touting a unit that, among other things, is smaller and "more durable." The thing falls apart within a month and you tell me you won't replace it.

I'm an old musician (60 years) and constantly amazed at business practices in today's world. You get a chance to do the right thing and replace a two dollar item and you blow it. Monopolies turn otherwise reasonable people into thieves and con artists. I guess it starts at the top. I'd love to give that guy a piece of my mind but your website makes it clear you don't want to hear from your customers (loyal or otherwise.)

Thank you so much for your excellent support. I'll let Avid know how pleased I am.

Sincerely,
Fred Porter