Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2002, 05:30 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default Re: How Do You Record Vocals and HEAR effects but not RECORD them??

"See guys, I put my pants on one leg at a time . . . the only difference is, once my pants are on, I MAKE GOLD RECORDS!!"

Well, maybe some day, but in the meantime . . . I have been easily applying effects and plug-ins to my recorded tracks AFTER THEY'RE DOWN, but on the very same track, once I am recording again, the effects are not being heard until I listen to the track recorded again.

I will look at it again but I don't see any way to apply effects in a way that will allow it to be heard . . . unless my routing is screwy or something like that?

-Jhon
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 07-03-2002, 05:35 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.

By the way, I know I will be "printing to tape" dry . . . I love that . . . I just can't hear any plug-ins until I'm not recording, just listening . . .

It's hard to explain these things sometimes!! It reminds me of that exercise in high school where you have to write an essay on EXACTLY how to tie your shoes . . . it's harder than it seems!! (to write it)

-Jhon
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 07-03-2002, 09:44 AM

Hey jhon, plugins on recorded tracks are disabled when in low latency recording mode. If you want to hear your effects (and a whole lot of latency ) turn it off.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:05 AM

OOOOOOOOOkay- THAT is the problem . . . but nobody can sing to a track with that latency thing happening . . . is there a way to make both things happen at the same time. . . I bet the answer is . . . Pro Tools HD!!

Seriously, couldn't I just get an outboard reverb or something to patch in? That wouldn't be infringing upon the latency issue.

Jhon
Old 07-03-2002, 10:26 AM

Jhon,

the only way to sing with no latency is put your sample rate at 128 wich is the best when recording vox with plugins .--HOWEVER-- here's the catch. If you computer isnt powerful enough to stay in that rate your kinda screwd. (you'll get increase buffer size errors) i know everyone says you cant tell the difference at 256, or 516 but as a singer myself, it drives me insane, (256 or 516) you have to dump your other plugs on other tracks to free up cpu power when recording vox. (at 128) especially at high track counts.

This problem was the sole reason i upgraded to Allans AMD recomendation, from my little PIII 550

good luck my friend [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]