Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2023, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Mac Studio M1 Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
Awesome responses folks. So a few things .. I have successfully been able to use the HDN t2 box directly off the T4 ports in back of the Mac studio if I don't have all ports being used up by other devises. I've managed to get that up and running with 3 Monitors Max one of which would be via the hdmi on the Mac itself.

Currently my set up is as follows.
Tb4 #1 mac out put to CallDigit tb2 devise ( which is powered via a power supply) using tb2 apple adaptador , CallDigit tb 2nd port out to HDN tb devise. + im using HDMI out on the hub to computer mon#1
TB4 #2 usb 3 to HDMI Mon 2
TB4 #3 usb 3 to HDMI Mon 3
TB4 #4 Unusable
MAC Studio HDMI out to 4k Samsung TV
The little adapters that have hdmi out also have USB ports in some cases I can attach drives but in some cases I'll get no power available warnings.

This configuration works over all

When I attempt to add any other type of peripheral to the empty TB4 PORT I consistently get the Not Eniugh power available warning.

Hmm. You are running 4 displays. I know we “can” with these computers, but have you tried moving some of the display connections to the front (USB) ports? I’m curious if it would affect the power management on the actual TB4 ports, and if you’d regain use of that 4th TB4 port

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-23-2023, 03:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that can't happen as I'm on a a Mac Studio M1 Max not an Ultra. The front ports are only usb 3 not thunderbolt
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 03-23-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Yes, using HDNTB with TB2->TB3 adapter on Apple Silicon here every day, and no issues to speak of.

best,

Jeff

The same, HDNTB with MAC Studio MAX with no problems.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 03-23-2023, 09:23 PM

Curious if those of you who are using the HDN attached to the rear of your computers have all the TB slots filled. How many monitors are you running etc. How many apple adapters are you using etc .. are all ports being used or just a few ?

I ran a diagnostics protocol on the Mac with a senior tech at Apple and everything came back positive.. next step is to go into an apple store with the unit and have them do some more in depth tests .. the tech over the phone said if there was anything wrong with the unit the self diagnostic test would catch it... somehow I doubt it but still worth investigating.. seeing as I'm using 2 apple tb3 to tb1 adapters this could be a possible reason why the bus isn't proving enough power. That being said it's still BS if that's really the case.
One solution I'm thinking that could likely solve this is buy a power supply for the HDN unit so it doesn't rely on bus power off the Mac.
coryrizos.com
Old 03-24-2023, 11:12 AM

Interesting thing I purchased a 12vDC 1amp power supply from Amazon and the whole power issue is resolved. Go Figure eh! I'm Canadian so we say " eh " alot .. anyways that's that.

I'm now using my older AJA Ttap + the HND interface with success.

All the best
coryrizos.com
Old 03-24-2023, 03:49 PM

Glad you got it sorted!

All the best,

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 03-26-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Interesting thing I purchased a 12vDC 1amp power supply from Amazon and the whole power issue is resolved. Go Figure eh! I'm Canadian so we say " eh " alot .. anyways that's that.

I'm now using my older AJA Ttap + the HND interface with success.

All the best

Do you have a link in case anyone else needs one. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OS 10.9.2
PT 10.3.10 HD
PT 11.3.1 HD
PT 12.1 HD
Old 03-27-2023, 12:17 PM

The OWC TB3 (C type) to Dual HDMI worked in my M1 Max- 3 Mon setting 3-1440 displays one being 4K.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:32 AM

Here's the link to the 12vDC Adapter I bought on Amazon that works with the HD Native Thunderbolt unit. Like I said it resolved the whole Low Power message on the Mac Studio.

Side note some bigger facilities I work with are experiencing the same issue in some of thier rooms and I've turned them on the same Adapter.

Here's the link:

YLYLXIMA 12V 1A Power Supply Adapter AC 100V-240V, DC 12V 12W AC DC Adapter Plug 5.5 x 2.5mm Charger 12Volt 1Amp DC Power Transformers for Monitoring LED Lights, etc. https://a.co/d/7hfk3BF
coryrizos.com
Old 04-09-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I'm very aware of that. Everything I've been plugging in is directly in back. I may have to have a chat with Apple and see if maybe there's a defect with the unit.

So based on all these peripherals technically I should be getting power to them all yet I'm not .. I'm also wondering if I should perhaps aquire a power supply for the Native thunderbolt regardless that's its supposed to be bus powered and if that would remove the low power notification. Or would the powersupply serve zero purpose.
My M1 Max Studio is the highest model available. 10 core cpu 32 core GPU 64 gigs Ram.
I asked about that years ago. VERY hard to find them and I was told you would not need it. One reason I went with the Ultra was to have additional Thunderbolt ports just in case. I also recently just FINALLY got a new OWC Hub that I like the is in fact TB 4. https://www.owc.com/solutions/thunderbolt-dock
Though a Thunderbolt 4 connection still offers 40 Gbps, TB4 now allows not only the Dual 4K displays brought about by TB3, but more power in its single monitor capabilities. Whereas TB3 allowed up to 5K video via a single monitor, TB4 now provides up to 8K resolutions when using a single display. The Hub I got was much needed for new monitors I am looking at. My old Ultra Display is like TB 2 maybe? and HDMI is fine for now, but hate those clunky cables.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS