How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2015, 11:54 AM

Default Is Fast Track Needed?

Hello!

I recently purchased a copy of Pro Tools Express with the Fast Track Solo. My purchase came with an upgrade to Pro Tools 11, which I have currently installed on my computer (I do not have Express installed). I noticed that in order to use Pro Tools, the Fast Track Solo must be plugged into the USB. Is there any way to use Pro Tools without this? This is the first time that I have owned it on my personal computer. However, I do use it in a school lab setting that does not have the Fast Track interfaces. We run Pro Tools 11 with just the iLok running through the USB ports.

Is there any way to disable the need to always have this plugged in? It's a cool feature, but it would be nice to be able to use the program without always having it attached to the computer. I'm not sure if there is a thread on this already, I didn't see one when I checked. Any help that anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Is Fast Track Needed?

You're on Windows, correct?

Pro Tools 11 needs an ASIO interface (like the Fast Track). Your computer's built-in soundcard probably does not have an ASIO driver, so it doesn't work with PT11. But you can get a utility that "wraps" your soundcard driver in an ASIO driver, so you can make it work pretty well with PT11. It's called ASIO4ALL.
  1. Read Dave's warning about installing this software. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=367537
  2. Download and install ASIO4ALL. Keep your eye on those sneaky dialogs! http://www.asio4all.com/
Old 05-02-2015, 03:43 PM

Yes yes, read and heed^^^^ I ran Malwarebytes again today after getting an "odd" looking IE popup window made to LOOK like a BSOD, but in a browser page(was trying to get into my uaudio account). 46 MORE suspicious things to remove.

Regarding ASIO4ALL, yes it MAY work, BUT, trust me when I tell you, your performance and overall experience will be much better with a real interface that uses a dedicated driver. After 2 hours of fussing, I could NEVER get Pro Tools to play out of the motherboard SPDIF output, despite having Windows sounds work just fine. Tomorrow, I am picking up a used Mbox2 Pro($100).

Last word, ALWAYS have a backup plan. Saving a drive image BEFORE installing ASIO4ALL is a good idea(although, truth be told, that is one program that has uninstalled clean, every time). But again, if you download from the wrong place, you put your system at serious risk

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
trust me when I tell you, your performance and overall experience will be much better with a real interface that uses a dedicated driver.
+1,000

Even something like the Fast Track is a major upgrade compared to your built-in audio. My favorite low-budget interface is the NI Komplete Audio 6. It's worth the money.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Yeah, it seems that having one extra USB slot filled would be more tolerable than having to go through my installed programs again to remove those fun little surprises. I have to do that far too often as it is. I'm curious as to what the lab computers use now. I remember there being a few different options for drivers. I'll have to check that out next time I'm there.

Thanks for all the help though! I'll stick around with the Fast Track. I can get used to having it on my desk if it means I don't have to spend a day tracking down tag along installations. Besides, having one more box with knobs and lights always makes your setup look more impressive to those who have no idea what you're doing.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:38 AM

My bet is that the "lab computers" (school right?) are Macs and you're using a laptop PC. If so, I think that you'd find ASIO4ALL (from http://www.asio4all.com/) very handy for mixing "on the go". Just be sure to turn of the default audio "Enhancements" if you use good headphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk67 View Post
Yeah, it seems that having one extra USB slot filled would be more tolerable than having to go through my installed programs again to remove those fun little surprises. I have to do that far too often as it is. I'm curious as to what the lab computers use now. I remember there being a few different options for drivers. I'll have to check that out next time I'm there.

Thanks for all the help though! I'll stick around with the Fast Track. I can get used to having it on my desk if it means I don't have to spend a day tracking down tag along installations. Besides, having one more box with knobs and lights always makes your setup look more impressive to those who have no idea what you're doing.