Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 AM

Default Recommendation on Audio Interfaces (lots of inputs)

Hi All

I have PT 10 and 11 working well on a Windows 7 system. I have an MBox Pro three - also working well.

I use a lot of VI - however an increasing range of hardware synths. I have run out of inputs and therefore currently run some of them through a mix prior to the MBox Pro. This works, but means the mix is done independent of Pro Tools. Obviously you find that a number of tracks share the same input so you cannot mix independently in Pro Tools.

I know I could mute hardware and record actual audio (rather than midi / aux / instrument track) - however, what I am really after is lots more physical audio inputs into the interface.

Therefore, can anyone recommend an interface which is :

1) Firewire

2) Has a substantial increase in inputs over the MBox.

3) Is compatible with Pro Tools 11.

At the end of the day I want to be able to use more instrument (midi / aux) tracks in Pro Tools and control the level etc of more hardware in real time.

Any ideas - let us say that price at this point is no issue (probably will be!).

thanks in advance

rgs

Mark
Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Recommendation on Audio Interfaces (lots of inputs)

Some FW ideas
UA Apollo 16
RME Fireface 800
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Ethernet idea
Focusrite RedNet3

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Some FW ideas
UA Apollo 16
RME Fireface 800
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Ethernet idea
Focusrite RedNet3
All those, and don't forget the "cheap" route of a used 003R and a decent lightpipe preamp. That can get you 16 inputs for as little as $500. Of course, the Apollo gets you UAD processing(very nice). The Saffire can also take a lightpipe preamp for 8 more inputs. The Saffire LS56 can go to 24 with a pair of lightpipe preamps. Lots of options, depending on how much you can afford

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 PM

Thanks indeed. Will look into those options.

I sometimes get confused by advertised number of I/O and what I can physically see. Generally most of my hardware is stereo - so I want a pair of inputs for each one. 16 I/O (i.e. physical connections) gives me 8 pairs to work with. I am amazed there appears to be few devices with this many (the common appears to be up to 8, with some shared between mic and DI duties).
Old 11-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionactive View Post
Thanks indeed. Will look into those options.

I sometimes get confused by advertised number of I/O and what I can physically see. Generally most of my hardware is stereo - so I want a pair of inputs for each one. 16 I/O (i.e. physical connections) gives me 8 pairs to work with. I am amazed there appears to be few devices with this many (the common appears to be up to 8, with some shared between mic and DI duties).
Most of what's available these days does seem to fit that 8 channel picture, with more inputs available, but requiring more hardware to be purchased. The Apollo 16 is ready to go, with 16 inputs, but they are all line level(no mic preamps). The other options all have a lightpipe input, and all you need to get the magic 16 is an 8 channel lightpipe preamp. These start at around $200 for the little Behringer ADA8000, on up to close to $3K for the Focusrite ISA-828 w/digital card. My recommendation for cheap is the Behringer(or slightly more for the new Behringer ADA8200 with the Midas-designed preamps) and for best value, I like the Focusrite OctoPre Mk II Dynamic, followed by the Presonus D8

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 PM

RME fireface ufx. Very stable drivers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2013, 06:11 AM

I've had good luck with the Presonus Firestudio Project.
It has 8 pres, but you can buy additional units and daisy chain them together to fit your needs.

System Details
Old 11-25-2013, 06:42 AM

I've been happy with my M-Audio Pro Fire 2626, although driver development can be a bit slow at times. It does give you 8 line/mic inputs and 2 ADAT inputs (so you could add 2 of those Behringer ADAT pre's Albee was talking about).

If I where in the market right now, I'd get the Motu 896mk3 personally. USB and Firewire, 2 ADAT, 8 pre's. I have no hands on with it though, so that's just by reading about it.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 AM

I'm presently using a Liquid saffire 56 and a Saffire pro 40. will be updating this rig soon as a portable right though (since I'm planning on a total change of gear in the studio). At which point I will be dropping the pro 40 and going either with 2 additional octopre dynamic mk2, or 2 additional liquid saffire 56 (controlled with two smallish laptops to change the liquid channel on the fly) through the additional adat in/out of the main unit. Both setup would give me 24 in's and 24 outs. The only thing I hate in the designs of the pro 40 and the non dynamic octopre's is that they have 2 inputs set on the front without having the same 2 inputs available behind. Meaning that when you have a rig setup with patchbays, you still have to have cables pass in front of the rig.. stupid designs decision.. they could have mirrored two inputs at the back and enabled a cleaner and easier connection scheme.

Wave-T.com