Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Default Using 1 pair of speakers to monitor PT and non-PT stuff

Good evening,

I am currently working with a Digi001 and a G4 (!), but I am about to buy a new Mac and a new Digidesign interface (Digi003 rack or MBox 2 Pro). Currently I listen to all my Mac output -- Pro Tools or iTunes or internet or whatever -- on the same set of Alesis M1 speakers I attached to the Digi001's Monitor Out L and R; the Mac's stereo audio output (miniplug converted to 1/4"!) flows into the Digi001's "Monitor Inputs" L and R, and I toggle the "Monitor Mode" button to switch between Pro Tools audio output and Mac audio output. I noticed that that Digi003 doesn't have such dedicated Monitor inputs.

I know things have changed a lot since I bought my last Mac and PT set-up. (I feel like a man emerging from a time capsule into a strange future world.) Anyway, would someone be able to clue me in on whether they use the Digi003 or MBox 2 Pro to take audio from the Mac itself and send it to their monitors when they want to listen to something other than Pro Tools output?

Thank you so very much in advance,
Vogger
Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Using 1 pair of speakers to monitor PT and non-PT stuff

Actually the 003 does have a set of AUX inputs with a button to route them to the speakers, or to inputs 7,8 so you can do the same thing you have been doing all along.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 AM

Thanks Albee1952,

What about the Mbox 2 (or MBox 2 Pro)? Can Pro Tools Mac users route all their non-PT audio (internet, iTunes, etc.) through the MBox Pro and onto the studio monitors the same way one would do this via the 003 rack (i.e., the way I've been doing with my Digi001 since '02)?

Also, how does any such non-PT audio get into the 003 rack unit or MBox, etc.? That is, does the non-PT audio (presumably being piped in from the audio output [miniplug] jack on the back of the Mac) take up two whole analog audio inputs, or does it fly in via the Firewire?

Thanks in advance,

Vogger
Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM

None of the Mbox products have the extra inputs(although you can patch the computer audio out into the Mbox inputs 1&2 and set the mix knob to "input"). There is supposed to be core audio drivers that allow the Mbox to be seen as a soundcard but these do not always work correctly(according to my DUC reading). That setup can also cause problems with "hardware in use by other program" kind of messages(Mac users please correct me if this is not accurate). Simply running a mini plug cable to 2x quarter inch into the Aux inputs on the 003, allows for you to push a single button and hear all computer sounds directly thru your speakers that are fed from the 003(without opeing protools). If Mbox is your preference, you can get a source/monitor selector like the Samson C-Control(cheapest at $99), Mackie Big Knob (better at $349) or the Presonus Central Station(way better at $450). Prices are estimates and used can save you money for sure.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-26-2008, 11:06 AM

Mackie Big Knob! Couldn't live without mine. Plus, everyone who comes over asks about my big ol' knob.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Mackie Big Knob! Couldn't live without mine. Plus, everyone who comes over asks about my big ol' knob.
Which could be a blessing or a curse depending on who's asking !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 PM

I'm running PT 7.1.1 with an MBox 2. Audio from other non-PT programs (like iTunes) goes via USB through the MBox, out to the monitors. Volume can be adjusted on the MBox. PT does not need to be opened.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM

If you don't want to run PT and an alternate sound source simultaneously, I think your best bet is to use the core audio drivers. I use them with my mbox flawlessly.

If you want the other sound sources to work with PT open, some of the other suggestions above would be your best bet.

Kelsey
Old 06-27-2008, 07:13 AM

The Mbox 2 series is different from other Digi interfaces. They are CoreAudio compliant interfaces, meaning they don't require the same CoreAudio driver that the 002/003 need to pass Mac audio. They show up as a normal soundcard to the computer, and you can use it to pass audio just like it's the internal soundcard. It will even pass audio from other apps when Pro Tools is open, which is really useful.

I've seen some issues with this, though. My Micro will occasionally lock up the computer when I plug it in or unplug it. I have a friend with an Mbox 2 and he finds the Mbox drivers sometimes lock up and have been known to cause kernel panics from time to time. It's pretty much a draw on how well it will work. Personally, I use my 002 to listen to audio from other programs. Overall, things have worked well, but there are times when the Core Audio Driver just acts weird. I have a cable running to my Alt input so I can plug my MBP's audio out into it for when Pro Tools is running, or if the CAD ever acts up.