Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM

Default Pt 10.3.6

I'm in the process of buying a new laptop. They mostly come with Win8, and it's getting hard to find a laptop that comes with Win7 any more. Will PT 10.3.6 install on a laptop that is Win8 64-bit? I know earlier PT versions didn't support it, but since 10.3.6 supposedly co-exists with PT11, and PT 11 installs in Win8 it seems to make sense. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Pt 10.3.6

No version of PT10 is supported in Windows 8. Some have gotten lucky with it and some have not.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 PM

I know it's hard, being a consistant PC user, but...why not buy a MBP? And forget about compatibility issues...my rig does everything my PC did and then some. Always remember, you get what you pay for.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
I know it's hard, being a consistant PC user, but...why not buy a MBP? And forget about compatibility issues...my rig does everything my PC did and then some. Always remember, you get what you pay for.
No, not really looking to get a MacBook. I can literally buy four reasonably powerful PC laptops for that price, and I will only be using it periodically.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
No, not really looking to get a MacBook. I can literally buy four reasonably powerful PC laptops for that price, and I will only be using it periodically.
True absolutely true

PT 11 is supported for Windows 8

But look for an OEM Windows 7 license, 7 is far more stable and compatible with most software including Pro Tools

Heres one:
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Profes...t+professional

Last edited by guatamas; 06-28-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Whatever suits you.

For me, I value my time so much I wouldn't even bother. Avid tells me which Apple computer works and I buy that and it's just that simple. If I have to spend a day working out kinks and still have an unsupported system, it's just not worth it. Could have made that grand with the lost time so I prefere doing the actual work instead of own troubleshooting.

That suits me. But opinions do vary :)
Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 AM

MAC or Windows?, if you know how to handle and configure the Windows system, you are ready to go, getting the same performance, or even better, than a MAC on the same hardware type.

The MAC advantage is it's almost ready to go when opening the box, less viruses and easy to use, less configurable in general than a Windows system, but if you know how to handle it, it works great.

Regards.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Whatever suits you.

For me, I value my time so much I wouldn't even bother. Avid tells me which Apple computer works and I buy that and it's just that simple. If I have to spend a day working out kinks and still have an unsupported system, it's just not worth it. Could have made that grand with the lost time so I prefere doing the actual work instead of own troubleshooting.

That suits me. But opinions do vary :)
I can't image how a question about Windows 8 turned into a Mac vs. PC discussion. Hasn't that subject been beat to death over the last 25 years or so? I just want to know about PT 10 on Windows 8. If you're happy with you're Mac, fine, but I don't get much from your contribution to the discussion.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I can't image how a question about Windows 8 turned into a Mac vs. PC discussion. Hasn't that subject been beat to death over the last 25 years or so? I just want to know about PT 10 on Windows 8. If you're happy with you're Mac, fine, but I don't get much from your contribution to the discussion.
hahaha..my windows machine flies,, and i am barely meeting avid specs...people have gotten windows 8 to run protools..in fact, the latest drivers for mbox3 include windows 8 support in the read me. save your money and get a windows machine.

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I'm in the process of buying a new laptop. They mostly come with Win8, and it's getting hard to find a laptop that comes with Win7 any more. Will PT 10.3.6 install on a laptop that is Win8 64-bit?.
I think they offer the downgrade option still - but for me I just got an Samsung series 7 with an i5 8gb of ram a SSD and a terabyte of space with a spinner for 450 at a pawn shop with w7 installed

Another shop had a MBP with an i5 and 4gb of ram and one spinner for $800

I went with the Samsung even though I do prefer my 6core Hackintosh desktop to either

Don't rule out the pawnshops - great deals on great hardware - not every time but I got a steal
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.