How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2022, 08:47 AM

Default Melodyne (ARA) keyboard shortcut question

Happy Friday all,

So twice now, while working in the new ARA melodyne implementation, I have inadvertently pressed some key or key combination on my keyboard, which I can only assume is a death-to-everything/delete all shortcut.

It's deleted the melodyne from the track I was working on, and make it look like I'd never implemented it at all. Lost half an hour or more worth of edits in both cases, CRTL-Z doesn't bring anything back. In both cases I just opened the last backup and kept working, so I didn't actually lose much, but it's annoying.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm accidentally doing here, so I can avoid it in future??

Thanks

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 11-26-2022, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Melodyne (ARA) keyboard shortcut question

Ha - I’ve done the same thing. And I’ve got no idea what I pressed either. Couldn’t even undo to get it back. I’ve tried replicating it to no avail. Bug maybe?
Old 11-26-2022, 02:45 PM

This happened to me and I think i know what happened.

When editing in melodyne a lot, you end up using the option key a LOT. Well that is right under the Z key. And what does Z do in commands focus? Undo. But not undo in Melodyne. Undo in Pro Tools. And likely the last thing you did in protools was turn on melodyne on that track. So this turns it off.

Kinda poor design, as command focus quickeys don't work in the docked window you've been melodyning in.

If you do it, and catch it right away, just shift Z to redo turning melodyne on and it will get you right back where you were.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:11 PM

^^^^ this.

But also, a couple times I have accidentally pressed “a” or “d” with the edit window in focus and accidentally trimmed the clip. If you do this, or cut the clip or anything that would change the clip, it can also remove a bunch of your Melodyne in the window. So if it happens again, see what is going on in the edit window.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-27-2022, 01:55 AM

Interesting. To be honest the priority of the key commands has always felt a bit clunky to me in Tools. There are times when something as basic as e.g. “start/stop playback” using the space bar doesn’t work because a plug-in has taken keyboard priority. I understand the logic of “this window is active, so this window has the keyboard”, and it’s not like I can offer a more elegant solution, but it doesn’t make it any less infuriating.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:29 AM

^^^^ that too.

If you are editing in Melodyne, you want undo focus there or at least if working there you are NOT edit window focus in your actual user experience. So if working on Melodyne, touching clips etc, it should be like the clip/melodyne editor has focus so user cannot UNDO ALL in an accidental slip.

Or, register moves in Melodyne editor as actual actions in Pro Tools that can undo. Maybe some third party plug-ins have UI that doesn't Z-undo, sure... But this advertised as official integration shouldn't treat it's data like foreign objects to PT.

Opened a case:
Case Number - 04543141
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //

Last edited by nednednerb; 11-27-2022 at 11:58 AM. Reason: case number
Old 11-29-2022, 10:42 AM

had the same MELODYNE UNDO issue a few times.
after hundreds of edits, 1 UNDO took it all down. it removed melodyne from the track (not my choice) and it was as if i'd never done any edits.... crazy wast of time/work.
the only fix was to go back to an auto-save from 1 minute ago...
really hoping Avid can iron out all these ARA issues ASAP.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Interesting. To be honest the priority of the key commands has always felt a bit clunky to me in Tools. There are times when something as basic as e.g. “start/stop playback” using the space bar doesn’t work because a plug-in has taken keyboard priority. I understand the logic of “this window is active, so this window has the keyboard”, and it’s not like I can offer a more elegant solution, but it doesn’t make it any less infuriating.
For the record, the same keyboard-swiping happens with BFD3. I can almost understand why, but as you said, it's infuriating!