Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2012, 01:08 PM

Default Stable Pro Tools 10.2 on Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (detailed post)

I just want to share with my brothers and sisters: my PT rig has never run better:

========here are my old specs:==============

Software: Mountain Lion Server 10.7.3 with Pro Tools 10.2
Hardware: Mac Mini Server Mid 2011 (16gb ram) on Thunderbolt display Digi 003

It was just ok, but the video was laggy. I had the best upgrade experince on my macbook air mid 2011 which has the same video card and it made a huge improvement, the most stable build since i bought it so i decided to go ahead and upgrade once I heard avid released Pro tools 10.3.
====================================
Now, because of the plugins i did NOT do clean install, rather an Upgrade. from 10.7.3 OS to 10.8.2. I was already risking it because I'm in the middle of an album. I did a full backup before of course.Deleted the "server" app with (app cleaner) because of horror stories I heard of error messages, and If i want a server I have to look no further than paralells or go back to work!

Used wifi on the upgrade (Please disabled wifi and USE ETHERNET) it looks for drivers and updates and runs so slow on wifi and greatly increases the upgrade time. once you say reboot, no going back.

Anyhow it brought up the "hey lets destroy your pro tools rig with Icloud" dialog box, ignore that for the love of all things holy.

Dont open pro tools yet!

Open the terminal:this is up to you, find a reliable source command line to disable indexing/spotlight. I looked everywhere for the command I used, seems to be WAY to many variants on the net, please be careful here. Once done, REBOOT, enjoy. Never upgraded a single plugin.

System is very responsive, the faders pop, the plugins open in a hurry, little to no stutter dragging plugin windows around while the transport is rolling.

I considered upgrading to 10.3.2, but this little voice told me, "people were already running stable on MOuntain Lion with Pro tools 10.2 with little no issues", and another key post from Avid paraphrased "yes we were a little rushed to release 10.3 because of the transport issues, not a huge amount of bugs were fixed". that to me said "stay away" wait for 10.4, and wait for please saying it runs well.

I am convinced 10.8.2 is the most stable release any macbook air, mac mini will get for this hardware period. PS Im network engineer, forgot to mention that so i stress on the details. I havent even turned of gatekeeper. PS PS, i recently went BACK to a full apple keyboard from a bluetooth even though the BT is more sexy. ANYTHING avid asks me to do in favor of a slightly more stable system, I will do. Like a great song/mixes dont have any one thing that makes them great, its layer upon layer upon layer. So too is a stable PT rig, layer upon layer that builds up for a total effect.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Stable Pro Tools 10.2 on Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (detailed post)

Dont understand a thing in your post exept that your rig runs great now!? .. I think thats what you wanted to say, right?

Happy for you then!
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequin View Post
I just want to share with my brothers and sisters: my PT rig has never run better:

========here are my old specs:==============

Software: Mountain Lion Server 10.7.3 with Pro Tools 10.2
Hardware: Mac Mini Server Mid 2011 (16gb ram) on Thunderbolt display Digi 003

It was just ok, but the video was laggy. I had the best upgrade experince on my macbook air mid 2011 which has the same video card and it made a huge improvement, the most stable build since i bought it so i decided to go ahead and upgrade once I heard avid released Pro tools 10.3.
====================================
Now, because of the plugins i did NOT do clean install, rather an Upgrade. from 10.7.3 OS to 10.8.2. I was already risking it because I'm in the middle of an album. I did a full backup before of course.Deleted the "server" app with (app cleaner) because of horror stories I heard of error messages, and If i want a server I have to look no further than paralells or go back to work!

Used wifi on the upgrade (Please disabled wifi and USE ETHERNET) it looks for drivers and updates and runs so slow on wifi and greatly increases the upgrade time. once you say reboot, no going back.

Anyhow it brought up the "hey lets destroy your pro tools rig with Icloud" dialog box, ignore that for the love of all things holy.

Dont open pro tools yet!

Open the terminal:this is up to you, find a reliable source command line to disable indexing/spotlight. I looked everywhere for the command I used, seems to be WAY to many variants on the net, please be careful here. Once done, REBOOT, enjoy. Never upgraded a single plugin.

System is very responsive, the faders pop, the plugins open in a hurry, little to no stutter dragging plugin windows around while the transport is rolling.

I considered upgrading to 10.3.2, but this little voice told me, "people were already running stable on MOuntain Lion with Pro tools 10.2 with little no issues", and another key post from Avid paraphrased "yes we were a little rushed to release 10.3 because of the transport issues, not a huge amount of bugs were fixed". that to me said "stay away" wait for 10.4, and wait for please saying it runs well.

I am convinced 10.8.2 is the most stable release any macbook air, mac mini will get for this hardware period. PS Im network engineer, forgot to mention that so i stress on the details. I havent even turned of gatekeeper. PS PS, i recently went BACK to a full apple keyboard from a bluetooth even though the BT is more sexy. ANYTHING avid asks me to do in favor of a slightly more stable system, I will do. Like a great song/mixes dont have any one thing that makes them great, its layer upon layer upon layer. So too is a stable PT rig, layer upon layer that builds up for a total effect.
Oldish post i know but i would like to ask a couple of things.

First i highlighted the Mountain Lion Server 10.7.3 because i think its a typo..Surely you mean plain Lion server 10.7.3..as that is what you upgraded from >>>>> to Mountain lion Server 10.8.2.

Now you mention the app you used to disable or erase the server part of the OS... Could you please give a link to it.

Also what is the info you had on using a full Apple keyboard (which one?) as opposed to the BT one.

Finally what was the command line you used and how is the rig running to date.

I have had a kernel panic and after re-boot my BT keyboard was going a bit weird. Zapping the pram sorted it but i think i need to go to Mountain lion and change the keyboard.
Would appreciated your reply

Cheers
J
Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 PM

Forgot to say
Running Lion Server 10.7.3 ....Pro Tools 10.3.2
Old 01-03-2016, 08:51 PM

holy cow, its been a few years since i logged on!

I missed this entirely. i have the same hardware, with new a new OS and a new version of pro tools, running the best pro tools has ever ran, yet again.

check out my recent post

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=376279