Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2002, 05:02 PM

Default Re: WIRELESS????

You will certainly lose quality going FM wireless. Wireless is great for live performance, but I don't think it's a good idea for a recording studio. Certainly, wireless will lose more quality than high quality guitar cable.

Why not locate the amps near the players and run longer, high-quality speaker cables to speakers in the "amp" room? This would also give the players easy access to the amp's controls.

What kind of distances are you considering?

Lee Blaske
Old 03-02-2002, 12:24 AM

Default WIRELESS????

I was thinking of wirless for guitars and bass going to the amp room. I want 2 tracks signals for each instrumant, DI and a signal to the amps.

Question---

Would the signals interfere with any of my studio equipment? Sound quality? Brands? How long should a guitar cable run before loosing quality? Does powerd pickups (i.e. EMG) help the signal travel further? Is there an exact specific guitar cable I should be using? Signal boosters? Signal splitters?

I use an Avalon U5 for bass and it has a "through" output. How far can I run that sucker? Wireless into U5 and wireless out to amp room? I might need at least a 4 channel unit? Thank you in advance. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2002, 08:33 PM

Lee, thank you for replying. I guess the main thing is running a guitar cord to the control room and then a splitter and or a booster. My biggest concern is having a guitar cable 30-40 feet or so. I figured that FM would be worse but I've heard of digital wireless systems. I don't know much about the wireless setup. Anyone else? Thank you [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2002, 09:09 PM

I wouldn't recommend running a long cable from your amp to your speakers.

If you're concerned about getting the best sound quality, I agree, don't run wireless either - use a cable.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:14 PM

what would be the maximum guitar cable length one wouldn't want to go over? Amp to speaker length? Do certain cables do better? Boosters? Splitters?
Thank you all! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2002, 01:13 AM

There was a wireless product called xWire, and it is the most Hi Fi wireless you can get, I think ...

It has a digital converter in the transmiter, converts to 16/44.1, and sends the digital signal over to the reciever. Ultra clean sound, no fm wireless compression and loss of tone.

However, I think the company sold about a year ago. There are still a few of them out on the market. I *think* they were bought out by Senhizer (sp).

I have one, use it daily, swear by it ... love it ....

Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:27 PM

thanks for the info [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]