Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Using LE with a current, new Mac...?

The following is a letter I wrote to tech support and pre-sales. I don't understand the situation with LE and the current Mac OS. Can anyone, user or admin, make sense of this or help?

---------------------
Hello Digidesign,
I have an Mbox, with which I've tried running LE 7.1.3. I also have an old, disused 001 which I'm considering exchanging for a 003, but have some serious concerns.

I currently have a Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 2.33, and this came with 10.4.9, which you seem not to support for LE. Thus I can't use my MBox with either LE or third-party apps; I get perpetual crashes. As suggested, I tried installing the 10.4.9 "Combo Update" and tried "ProTools Pref and Database Helper v2.0" to no avail. I've given up trying to use my Mbox and Protools, instead trying to make do with products from other companies. Is there something else I should try?

To be frank, it seems quite unbelievable that you don't support the current Mac OS, the one anyone who's purchase a current Mac would be using. It's been out for months. I don't believe my machine can even run the "officially supported" 10.4.8., and it seems ludicrous to reverse migrate, simply to run LE, the only contemporary app I own that won't work with my Mac. Will you ever support 10.4.9? If I get a 003, I assume this would bring me up to 7.3, but will it help? The compatibility info on your site clearly states that 7.3.x is NOT compatible with Mac OS 10.4.9. When 10.5 comes out, will you support it right away, soon after, or never at all?

So, as you might understand, I'm reticent to go further with Digi products, throwing good money after bad. I'm only motivated to use Protools because I sometimes do freelance post for picture, and it's still considered "the standard". Getting a more expensive 003 doesn't seem like a logical solution to an MBox which can't work with a contemporary Mac. Can you clarify for me what users in my position are expected to do (or think!)?
thanks,
Ben
Old 06-01-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Using LE with a current, new Mac...?

did you try running the pace prebinding script?
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 06-02-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Using LE with a current, new Mac...?

Yep, I did but it didn't seem to help. I tried all the pre-binding, the combo-update, and the pref flushing app, several times.

BTW, I can't use my MBox as an interface via CoreAudio either, as it crashes with 3rd party apps.
I'm not sure but I think the CoreAudio driver/control panel crashes third party apps.

God, I hate being one of "those people" who nothing seems to be working for, embittered, desperate, while others are making music and finding it all effortless.

thanks for your reply and suggestion,
Ben