Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Wireless Keyboards?

Is anyone using a wireless keyboard with their Venue? My one frustration right now is I keep getting getting tangled in the cord for our keyboard. It's the one thing we really haven't settled on where it's going to go so it gets moved around frequently during rehearsals and inevitably I get tangled up in it at some point. Will a wireless keyboard work with the system? Are their any kind of driver limitations we should be aware of?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-09-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Wireless Keyboards?

That's a great question. I'm always tripping over ours (as well as the headphone cord) too. We don't have a case for ours, I've noticed that some of the custom cases have keyboard trays, maybe that's the way to go.

Erik
Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 AM

Bluetooth keyboard won't work, so go for a IR or RF keyboard with receiver like those made by Logitech. I use a logitech mouse, and I can use it on any computer with USB without any driver. The driver is only for advance functions. It use ttwo AA battery, and those are free because I use my not good enough for Maglight AA batterie. The mouse will use those AA until they are completely empty. I supposed it's the same for the keyboard

JC
Old 01-10-2006, 04:05 PM

We're in a permanent install so there's no need for a case. We have a hanger for headphones under the desk so that's not a problem. However, I don't really want to stick the keyboard on a drawer underneath because I know I'll bang my knees on it, and I'm sure my other A1's would as well. I never touch the keyboard in the middle of a service or show, but I need easy access to it during rehearsals when I'm setting up snapshots. We thought about doing something like Scovill did where the the keyboard sits below a custom VGA monitor mount, but I think it would be awkward for the amount of useage it gets when we're using it. I'm open to any other ideas. I will definitely look into an IR wireless keyboard, too.

Dave
Old 01-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Avid

Hi Dave,

We haven't tested any wireless keyboards, but if you find one that uses the standard Windows keyboard/mouse driver then it should work fine.

We don't recommend you use any device that requires installation of custom drivers. A large part of VENUE's stability comes from the fact that the operating system is customized to include only the necessary components, therebey minimizing potential software and hardware conflicts.

Another option (albeit a bit pricier than a wireless keyboard) is to use the D-Show script tray. This is an assembly we sell that drops right on top of the console and slides easily back and forth so you can still access controls. It makes a great place to put a keyboard, laptop PC....or even a script!

Sheldon
Old 01-10-2006, 06:42 PM

Sheldon,

Are those like the ones that go across the Neve and SSL consoles and glides over the unused channels. Those are pretty cool.

Erik
Old 01-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Avid

Hi Erik,

Same concept. Here are some pics:

Script Tray 1

Script Tray 2

Sheldon
Old 01-11-2006, 01:11 PM

That tray is cool, but the quote I got on the price was pretty pricey for us. I'm going to see if one of my guys can fabricate something along those lines like he did with our monitor mount.

Dave
Old 07-15-2008, 03:32 PM

Does the script tray fit on the Profile console or just the larger D-Show? I can't find info about this anywhere yes or no.

Thanks!
www.cordernotes.com
Old 07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Avid

Hi,

The script tray only fits D-Show Main and Sidecar. Profile is so compact that the script tray would cover over half of the surface...

Sheldon