Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 09:59 AM

Default Installing XP Drivers for PT 5.3.1

Oh dear god. Ive been trying for at least a week now to get the drivers installed correctly for the XP version of pro tools. (5.3.1) So far all ive gotton was a message saying that my hardware is not connected (digi 001), which is clearly because the driver is installed incorrectly, or its the wrong driver. I downloaded the setup file and ran it fine, but it still doesn't work. Please does anyone have an idea what im doing wrong or maybe a different way they went about installing the Digi001 driver. Thanks [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2002, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Installing XP Drivers for PT 5.3.1

I had a similar problem. What I was follow the read me intructions. There are a few certain files to delete before you reinstall and what not. Once I followed Digi's instructions it worked fine.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:13 PM

hey man thanks a lot, im assuming youre referring to the pdf files on the digidesign site... i didnt read anything about deleting any files... i could be missing something, is that the read me that you're talking about? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2002, 10:07 PM

Yeah the pdf files. I guess the deleteing files was in the pdf for the wav driver. I wish I could teel you exact steps I took but I combined the DIGI instructions with basic computer knowledge. I just don't want to mislead you and f** up your rig. The pdf should do it though. GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-03-2002, 11:07 AM

Don't know if this will help, but it's how I got XP and 5.3.1 up and running.... step by step.

I took a brand new 60 gig ATA 100 drive.
Booted to a win98 startup floppy.
Ran FDISK.
Chose Fat32.
Full disk space in a single partition.
Rebooted to 98 floppy choosing "Command Prompt Only"
Format c:/s at the a:\ prompt.
Rebooted to win98 floppy disk.
Chose CDrom support.
Ran setup from the XP Home (full) CD.
XP installed sucessefuly.
Shutdown... added my audio drive from my previous system, also formatted Fat32, 40 gig.
Rebooted and XP saw it right off.
Shutdown and added my NIC.
Rebooted and XP installed NIC without asking for drivers.
Configured my network and, following digi's addendum notes, I enabled DMA on both drives, and disabled "Driver Signing Warning".
Before rebooting I made the only two XP "tweaks" yet.
I set the "Best Performance" option to cut down on the fancy graphics, and disabled "Messenger" at startup.
Shutdown, added 001 card and booted to BIOS Setup.
Once again, following the Digi notes, I enabled USB in BIOS, saved and rebooted.
XP booted, found new hardware and, following Digi's notes, left the "Windows has discovered..." window open and ran 5.3.1 setup along side of it.
Install went without a hitch.
I get 32 tracks on the DaveC test.

As was my last system, this is a PT/Audio only dedicated computer.
Nothing but 001 and a NIC.

Installed on June 28 and it's been flawless.
My system is:
GA-7DX mainboard (The original version of this board... others here have had problems with the later variations.)
XP 1600 cpu w/ Volcano 6 fan
512 mb DDR
2 Maxtor-7200rpm-ATA 100 drives on Promise controller
NIC
XP Home
Old 08-04-2002, 03:27 AM

I think you can leave out these steps:

Booted to a win98 startup floppy.
Ran FDISK.
Chose Fat32.
Full disk space in a single partition.
Rebooted to 98 floppy choosing "Command Prompt Only"
Format c:/s at the a:\ prompt.
Rebooted to win98 floppy disk.
Chose CDrom support.

-Just go into your setup and make sure you can boot from cd. set it to boot from cd.
-insert the cdrom and reboot.
-run the installer from cd.
-when restarting your pc, go into the bios again, and set it back to harddisk.

Make sure you do NOT choose a partition you use...! Choose the new harddisk, and you will automatically a dual-boot system.

If you have problems with your harddrive not being recognized because it is to large/new, i suggest you format that drive in NTFS instead of fat32...although fat32 is reccomended by digidesign...

Bastiaan
Old 08-06-2002, 01:12 PM

You're absolutly right, Bastiaan.Thanks for pointing that out.
I chose that route because I didn't want XP to force me into 32gig partitions.
Just my personal preference.
Also, hope I didn't make that post sound like The Only way to a sucessful install.
Just wanted to give notes for a working installation for comparison.
Good Luck dekandent2-
Old 08-07-2002, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Oh dear god. Ive been trying for at least a week now to get the drivers installed correctly for the XP version of pro tools. (5.3.1) So far all ive gotton was a message saying that my hardware is not connected (digi 001), which is clearly because the driver is installed incorrectly, or its the wrong driver. I downloaded the setup file and ran it fine, but it still doesn't work. Please does anyone have an idea what im doing wrong or maybe a different way they went about installing the Digi001 driver. Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had this exact similar problem...read the pdf file and found out my USB was disabled. Went to bios setup, enabled USB and PTLE ran fine.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:40 PM

hey men,

I sit now 3 days here with the same problems and my head is aching. i thank you, although i don't know if something will work, but I'll try right now. if it works (meanwhile i'm very pessimistic) i thank you all for great advice!!!

jule (still with hope)
Old 03-10-2003, 06:44 AM

Hello All,

Thanks very much for the above info. I'd been putting off my XP upgrade for a long time. I did it tonight everything seemed fine. Then the drivers would not install. It turned out to be the USB disabled in BIOS. I know the instructions said to enable it, I just couldn't see why. Anyway, now I do........It doesn't work if you don't! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
WB