Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM

Default Auditioning related clips automatically??

Hi,

I sometimes loop record guitar solos and then audition the takes/passes changing from one to another using the command and left click function to see related clips or takes... then select from drop down list.

Imagine I've loop recorded 5 passes/takes of a guitar solo. Then select a function in ProTools which would enable auditioning of all these takes 1-5 without me having to change each one and then listen to it...

If not wouldn't it be a handy function to have?

Even better, if this function allowed a few seconds between loading the various takes to give the listener an option to press keys 1-5 on the keyboard to apply a clip rating to the clip. Therefore the listener could listen to all 5 takes in a row and rate them with the press of a button!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody handy I think........ perhaps there is such a function???
Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: Auditioning related clips automatically??

I think having that sort of function would be cool, but seeing as though the both the 1-5 keys on the num pad and above the qwerty are already mapped to shortcuts. The num pad being most of the transport controls and the ones above the qwerty being the zoom presets, which to me are much more convenient, but thats just my opinion.

If you want a easy way of auditioning passes on the fly, its possible with some really easy keyboard shortcuts.

You can toggle through track views on selected tracks with the shortcut "Control+Command+Left/Right Arrow keys" The view you are looking for is "Playlist" view.

Once in playlist view, which will show a bunch of playlist lanes with regions in them instead of the drop down menu, you can toggle through takes with a combination of these two shortcuts.

With command focus on, you can move your edit cursor up and down through the track lanes with the "P" and ";" keys respectively.

And once your edit cursor is on the playlist that you wanna hear, just press "Shift+S" and you will hear that playlist as opposed to the main.

It sounds harder than it actually is, and when you get your rhythm in it's pretty quick.

Also, as a kind of protip, when track comping, after you have all your takes down, its good to duplicate the last playlist to a new playlist, so you can just start promoting certain parts of takes to the main playlist in a matter of seconds without messing with any of the takes. These are those shortcuts:

Duplicate main playlist for first selected track in session: "Command+Control+\"

If you make an edit selection and wanna promote that to the main playlist, the short cut is: "Option+Control+V"
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack