Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 PM

Default Static just opening Pro Tools

I have Komplete 7, Propellerhead Record & Reason, Superior Drums 2.0, all run perfect with my new Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 (LS56). I just purchased Pro Tools 9 and all I get when I enter the program is STATIC; loud static with the LS56. Pro Tools works fine with my other 2 interfaces. But the LS56 is heads above the other interfaces and I want to use it with PT9.

My machine...

i7 980X 12GB RAM, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
2 WD 10k Raptors 3GB/s RAID 0 for OS and Programs
2 Seagate Barracudas 6GB/s RAID 0 for Win7 Page File & Recording Files

Please understand I have been through 4 interfaces and wrath-of-God numbers of tech problems over the past YEAR trying to do audio recording...and I've learned a thing or 2 over that time and spent thousands trying to get it right. I've scoured my PC performing every one of the 10,569,987 tips to create the required environment for recording on a PC. I've made sure I'm only using balanced high quality connectors (TRS or XLR).
I have the newest high speed PC running with no extraneous devices, services, or software.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the LS56 (which remember, works beautiful with all my software except Pro Tools 9? Is that RTAS Mix Control that Focusrite has on their website available for download anywhere on same website? I don't see a link anywhere for it?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Static just opening Pro Tools

Post a Sandra fpr best advice ( Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting! ). I can immediately tell you that Pro Tools does not support RAID so turning that off completely is the first step.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've seen posts about it not supporting RAID which seems counter-intuitive given the tremendous speeds this technology requires, and the fact that every other DAW benefits from RAID. I'm really at my wits end with the techno-cluster I've been through with this stuff.

I do want to ask, if Pro Tools work well with my other intefaces on the RAID drives, how can this static problem with just my Focusrite be related to my RAID set up?

At this moment, I am in Propellerhead Record, creating some beautifully clean music with my Focusrite. And the performance of this new machine is outstanding. It pains me to no end to hear that I might have to dismantle my RAID drives I will probably not use PT if that is the case...just another loss of $$ trying to get all the right stuff.

Thank you for your reply. I have entered a case with PT and emailed FR several days ago...not a peep from either, so thanks.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I do want to ask, if Pro Tools work well with my other intefaces on the RAID drives, how can this static problem with just my Focusrite be related to my RAID set up?
PT 9 is not yet up-to -date, guy! The audio driver still has many flaws and they're not being addressed. White noise is only one of them........I'm sure it's not your RAID nor Focusrite, it's Avid's badly developed drivers, for sure!

Anyone who's used PT 9 without Avid hardware could tell you this, without Sandra!

Healing the world through music.................

Sony Vaio Laptop|2 Core P8700 2.53 Ghz 8 Gb Ram|Win8 x64
PT 9.0.6|Cubase 7|Samplitude Pro X|Reason 5|Spectrasonics|Komplete
RME BabyFace|AxiomPro49|Akai LPD8
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM

Default Static just opening Pro Tools - SOLUTION

After many days of troubleshooting, 40 minutes on the phone with Focusrite, then 30 minutes with Avid, here is a summary of the problem and the solution...

Problem:
Pro Tools 9 produces static connected to a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 on start up. The Saffire Mix Control (SMC) continuously reads 480 as a buffer size when a 96kHz sample rate is selected. Whatever setting you apply to the buffer inside of PT9, it will not register in the SMC. The static is loud and continues through all session work.

Solution:
1)
1) First completely uninstall PT 9.0.0 using: C:\Program Files (x86)\Digidesign\Pro Tools\Pro Tools Utilities\Uninstall Pro Tools.exe
2) Reinstall PT 9.0.1
Old 05-19-2011, 10:56 PM

In the playback engine you have to un check ....minimize additional i/o latency...also in the lower right of the mix control ,click settings...set firewre latency to short ,set asio latency to 128 ...then....open pro tools ,hold n during splash (plugins loading) and set your pro tools asio latency to 128 and you good,...make sure delay compensation is checked...I use short.
best regards
kev