Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2015, 05:58 PM

Default Anyone successfully made PT11 be heard by Camtasia?

Hello guys. PC on Win7 and UAD Apollo Quad. I am trying to use Camtasia to record screencasts of PT11.

As you may know Camtasia does not support ASIO and hence the issue. However. When I use ASIO4ALL depending on the setup in the Windows Sound app, Camtasia does hear the system audio coming out of my PC soundcard. Adding a USB mic results in me having a nice separate audio track situation which is ideal.

However there is a lot of latency with MIDI when using ASIO4ALL. So I found this other "glue" which is called Voicemeter. No matter how I have that setup Camtasia does not hear anything out of the "Record System Audio" option, I tried everything. It does hear it out of something VB Audio (the company that makes Voicemeter) calls "Virtual Audio Cable" which works with Voicemeter, and even other choices on the audio feeds but not out of System Audio.

The good with Voicemeter is that MIDI latency is almost non existent. The problem with it up to now is that both my Mic and the system Audio have to come out of one channel as far as Camtasia is concerned. Unless there is another way to select two audio input selections (other than System Audio and one other selection) within Camtasia I cant have the ideal situation of recording what's coming out of my DAW and also listening to my mic into two separate audio tracks.

When I install ASIO4ALL and Voicemeter, Pro Tools does successfully "see" both of these within its playback options. So I have three options: ASIO4ALL, Voicemeter and Apollo.

Have you had success in this?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Anyone successfully made PT11 be heard by Camtasia?

I use Camtasia quite a bit and have never had luck with it. I typically use Camtasia on my daw w PT and record the audio to my laptop then drag the audio over to my daw and drop it into the Camtasia editor to render it. When PT is open it seems resources will just not share to other programs

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I use Camtasia quite a bit and have never had luck with it. I typically use Camtasia on my daw w PT and record the audio to my laptop then drag the audio over to my daw and drop it into the Camtasia editor to render it. When PT is open it seems resources will just not share to other programs
Thanks. What do you use to record your audio from PT?
Old 08-14-2015, 02:14 PM

And also which other app do you use for screencasts other than Camtasia? And did you have better luck with PT there?
Old 08-14-2015, 03:06 PM

Doesn't matter what you record the VO with, could be an iPhone or zoom h4n, it's all the same, because you bring it into camtasia afterwards anyway.

Sorry I can help further, I'm on Mac and use ScreenCast.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:21 PM

I use Blue Cat Audio's Plug N Script for this. There is a script that will record to a file all audio passing through the track it is on. I run my mic through an aux track with a mix of what I'm doing in Pro Tools, then I sync this file to the video on final render.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-14-2015, 03:29 PM

^ I've seen this done on YouTube but never knew what it was! I'll look into that, wonder if it's useful for other things too...
Old 08-14-2015, 03:48 PM

Meldaproduction has something similar to that implementation of Plug and Script. It's free.

http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugi...p?id=MRecorder

You can make the sync super easy by using a 2pop (1 frame of 1 kHz tone on a track). Sync the audio to the meter activity in post.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:15 PM

Thanks all.

So there is no way I could record my VO, the screen and the audio from PT all at the same time? There is not way to not have to sync items later?
Old 08-15-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavriil1 View Post
Thanks. What do you use to record your audio from PT?
I just run the line out from my PT interface to the line in on the interface I am recording my mic VO on and they are all on separate tracks and will pull them into Camtasia that way.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10