Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 07-15-2002, 01:45 AM

Default Guitar effects

Hello,
I'd like to know if there's a plug-in available for PTFree for simulating a distorted amplifier on a guitar record take; i.e.: I record the guitar in line, and the plug-in emulates the sound of the amplifier, or at least a pedal effect.
Thanks a lot!
Old 07-16-2002, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Guitar effects

I think there is a Sansamp plugin and Amplitube - both are RTAS I think.
Old 07-30-2002, 04:25 AM

It isn't the free route....but Line 6 has two options:
POD ver 2.0 is a wonderful box for direct recording and usually goes for around $250 nowadays.....
As for a plug in AMP FARM is a software based Pro Tools standard also by line 6. In fact, these are basically the same thing, one is hardware based and the other software. In addition.....there was recently a consolidation of the two ideas recently released that involves a small hardware piece that allows you to tap into an online tone bank.......I was confused by this as I thought my POD and AmpFarm already did this, but it must be neat, b/c it is on the cover of all the bloody magazines right now.... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
(anyways, i can't remember it's name)
Behringer has a similar direct Box called the V-Amp which goes for about $179. You get a little less than from the POD, but then again, you pay a little less....so all's well that ends well I suppose......
PS- while I realize your question was requesting more plug-in oriented info. I thought these were worth mentioning. The more you can do before the computer gets the signal= (ultimately) the more options you have at any given point for treating the signal
AKA- "there is no such thing as too much outboard equipment"
Old 07-30-2002, 05:48 AM

Just grab a pod or a j-station because they can also double as a practice amp. But, use extreme prejudice when dealing with the pods internal efx. You may in fact also want to get a decent reverb efx processor with that, since you are recording direct a little ambiance doesnt hurt. and the pods reverb isnt my cup of tea.

oh yeah, then there's amplitube...that'll work too.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:40 PM

It was never the intention to say that the Pod would be the last word for reverb/effects. The initial question was more related to getting an amp tone or a distortion setting for recording direct. I have yet to see a single unit that can effectively deal with EVERY effect that a user needs in the recording process.....but....using the software included with POD, it is possible to edit the effects closer to individual preferences. In all honesty, if you can avoid using effects while laying tracks and save them for mixdown it is widely known that you will save yourself some headaches during mixdown. Regardless of what your "cup of tea" may be...I certainly wouldn't go around expecting a dedicated guitar box to provide the best possible reverb for all applications...
but...once again, with a little tweaking and choosing between the plate and spring reverb templates etc...the pod provides a decently workable reverb....the best results from it are, admittedly, more involved than rolling the reverb dial all the way to the right and crossing your fingers.
My personal favorite recording reverbs are made by T.C. electronics and Lexicon...but...these are also a hair more expensive than the initial offerings and provide absolutely nothing in terms of amp tone or "distortion" as was originally requested.
Having flogged a dead horse around the same track twice I am officially declaring this a moot point.
It all goes back to-
"there is no such thing as too much outboard gear" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]