Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-18-2021, 02:16 PM

Default Re: RAM & Pro Tools

I'm not interested in VIs at all.

I'm wondering what the optimal amount of ram is and if I need more. I mix film and TV, 5.1 & 2.0 medium to large sessions.

Does anyone know anything about RAM besides how much RAM VIs use?

Re-Recording Mixer
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Mac Studio M1 10 Core, 64gig RAM
Sonnet Echo dual NVMe TB Dock
Blackmagic Decklink 3G
Old 08-18-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings79 View Post

I'm wondering what the optimal amount of ram is and if I need more. I mix film and TV, 5.1 & 2.0 medium to large sessions.

Re-Recording Mixer
Told you already. If you have a clean install of your system, 16GB seems to be enough without VI use even if you have unsupported Apple Silicon. But in my experience which is not so little, a clean install makes all the difference.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Re-Recording Mixer
You are way overthinking this. You can never have too much ram. You've got a dual cpu cheesegrater that has triple channel ram so your best config would be 48 gig in each side for a total of 96 gig. This stuff is so cheap these days there's no reason to not max out if you can afford it. The more ram you have the less disk swapping is going on. I run 48 gig in the system on my profile page and would have nothing less. You're running WAY heavier sessions than I ever would so max out the ram and be done with it.

In case you haven't heard it - you are overthinking this ram business.

QAPLA!
Old 08-18-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Told you already. If you have a clean install of your system, 16GB seems to be enough without VI use even if you have unsupported Apple Silicon. But in my experience which is not so little, a clean install makes all the difference.
True that. If you take a look at his sig file you'll see he already has 48 gig (if the info is up to date). That alone makes his worrying about ram usage a moot point unless he's putting together a new system. Too often people come here asking for help without giving us the full story.

QAPLA!
Old 08-18-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Re-Recording Mixer
Bro, you’re getting borderline hostile on a forum where people are trying to answer your questions. Which, BTW, were specifically this

“ What tasks does RAM get utilized in Pro Tools. What uses alot of RAM and what doesn't.”

And this..

“ I'd like to know exactly what is using RAM and when”

Both of these questions were answered by multiple knowledgeable people and you’re still going on about RAM.

Your system has plenty of RAM. Your ProTools will never utilize all of it unless you loaded 10 plug-ins on 200 tracks. Even then, I doubt you’d run out of RAM. Your processor would probably give out instead.

I suggest if you’re having an issue with the RAM in your system you either contact Avid Support or the manufacturer of your memory.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Bro, you’re getting borderline hostile on a forum where people are trying to answer your questions. Which, BTW, were specifically this

“ What tasks does RAM get utilized in Pro Tools. What uses alot of RAM and what doesn't.”

And this..

“ I'd like to know exactly what is using RAM and when”

Both of these questions were answered by multiple knowledgeable people and you’re still going on about RAM.

Your system has plenty of RAM. Your ProTools will never utilize all of it unless you loaded 10 plug-ins on 200 tracks. Even then, I doubt you’d run out of RAM. Your processor would probably give out instead.

I suggest if you’re having an issue with the RAM in your system you either contact Avid Support or the manufacturer of your memory.
Borderline hostile? Are you kidding? Obviously you can't read tone in the writtern form. I'm far from being hostile its2loud. Its just an open conversation man chill out. You're the one who's being hostile RN. I'f you're just roaming around the forums trying to pick fights you should go open a winow and get some fresh air.

Anyway.......

Yes my system has 48gb. 6x8GB. And yes, its a clean install. I only do cleans.

But there are 2 conflicting opinions above. One saying I have enough and 1 saying I'd never use that much.

This is why I keep asking because, to me, these just look like opinions.

yes RAM is cheap. But do I double my capacity for for $350AUD for a gain or not? Or just keep going with what I have till PT gos native on Apple Silicone.

musicman691 & JFreak you've been very helpful. Thank you.

I'm just wondering if there any Avid employees roaming around here that can chime in.
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Mac Studio M1 10 Core, 64gig RAM
Sonnet Echo dual NVMe TB Dock
Blackmagic Decklink 3G
Old 08-18-2021, 11:45 PM

You’ve proved my point. Thank you. Good luck to you.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Borderline hostile? Are you kidding? Obviously you can't read tone in the written form. I'm far from being hostile its2loud. Its just an open conversation man chill out. You're the one who's being hostile RN. I'f you're just roaming around the forums trying to pick fights you should go open a window and get some fresh air.

Anyway.......

Yes my system has 48gb. 6x8GB. And yes, its a clean install. I only do cleans.

But there are 2 conflicting opinions above. One saying I have enough and 1 saying I'd never use that much.

This is why I keep asking because, to me, these just look like opinions.

yes RAM is cheap. But do I double my capacity for for $350AUD for a gain or not? Or just keep going with what I have till PT gos native on Apple Silicone.

musicman691 & JFreak you've been very helpful. Thank you.

I'm just wondering if there any Avid employees roaming around here that can chime in.
You will rarely see an Avid employee here. All you're going to get are opinions with a little bit of help from Avid's recommendations which are a minimum of 16 gig with preferably more. No one here knows how much ram each module in PT uses save for one of the programmers and you'll only get that info if your conversant in Russian (that's where most of the programming is done - in the Russian bloc). Keep in mind there's also a cache that can be set in PT so you could possibly have all your session in ram and not streaming from a drive.

No one said you would use all that ram you have. What was said was you might get by with 16 gig and the other one was cram as much ram into your system as you can (and afford). You'll definitely see an increase in usability going to 96 gig from 48 gig. Said it before and I'll say it again - you're overthinking this. You're obviously making money so spend a little.

As far as PT going native in Apple silicone that has nothing to do with how much ram is used. Right now M1 Macs have a max of 16 gig. Who knows when they'll have more ram on their dies? None of us.

QAPLA!
Old 08-19-2021, 05:07 AM

Why not just open the mac's Activity Monitor app and see how much RAM is being used in your sessions? Both Protools and the Avid Video Engine are listed separate.
Disable disk cache to see what the application itself is using.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Why not just open the mac's Activity Monitor app and see how much RAM is being used in your sessions? Both Protools and the Avid Video Engine are listed separate.
Disable disk cache to see what the application itself is using.
That was already suggested in post #4 and was rejected - too much lag the op said. However it would give him the number he really needs - aka a real world number. Ram usage isn't static or a set number. I don't think even the programmers know how much ram gets used in specific areas.

QAPLA!