Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2017, 12:55 PM

Default Tiny piano roll - FIXED

I learned that using command+option+control while scrolling in the edit window of an instrument track allowed you to scroll up and down the piano roll. Very handy. But then it suddenly transformed my piano roll into very, very tiny keys, like it had zoomed right out to show the whole keyboard all at once. I can't for the life of me see how to get it back to the default.

Anyone know how to do this?

Last edited by nyjdams; 12-03-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Tiny piano roll

Try Command+Control+Shift+[.

Does that work for you?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:38 AM

Well .... yes and no .... this is really weird. Thanks for the tip, first of all.

I opened the offending session, went to the tiny piano roll, selected the track, used that key combination and presto! It went back to the size I like. Great. Then I noticed that four other instrument tracks were in clip view so I put them in notes view, using the minus key shortcut. All looks good.

Then I see that there's another track at the top with tiny piano roll. So I select the track, use that key combination and ALL the tracks I'd just put in notes view went tiny. The track I'd wanted to change was unchanged. They're all instrument tracks, some in ticks, some in samples, so it can't be that.

I closed the session without saving, opened it and tried it again. Exact same result.

Even if I put all the 'normal sized' tracks in notes view, then save and exit, when I come back into the session and try Command+Ctrl+Shift+[ on the one remaining offender, the four tracks I mentioned above all go tiny, but the offender is unchanged. Thereafter that key combination does nothing to any piano roll.

Any ideas?
Old 12-03-2017, 06:16 AM

I've found a workaround for now. If you set the tiny piano roll track view to 'extreme', the keys return to a usable size, then you can set it back to medium or whatever and you can use the piano roll.

I'd still love to know what the proper answer is to this weird behaviour
Old 12-03-2017, 11:37 AM

Found it - thanks again to Stig for the suggestion. Turns out that Command+Control+Shift+[ performs a vertical zoom far enough out to show all the notes that are actually used in your track. So if there's a large range of notes, it will show more octaves and tiny keys. It also appears that this command doesn't toggle, so you can't return to where you were.

But if you use Command+Shift+[ or ] then you can vertically zoom in and out to heart's content. So, phew, chuffed now.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:48 PM

Cool. Glad you found a way.