Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Default Showing MIDI Notes Being Played While in MIDI Editor Window?

When I have my MIDI Editor window open and I mess around and play notes on my MIDI keyboard, the corresponding notes aren't being shown when I press them. Meaning, when I press the C , E and G keys on my keyboard, instead of the MIDI Editor Keyboard showing that the C E & G Keys are being played or pressed, it shows nothing. Is there any way to show which notes are being pressed in the MIDI editor?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Showing MIDI Notes Being Played While in MIDI Editor Window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbee View Post
When I have my MIDI Editor window open and I mess around and play notes on my MIDI keyboard, the corresponding notes aren't being shown when I press them. Meaning, when I press the C , E and G keys on my keyboard, instead of the MIDI Editor Keyboard showing that the C E & G Keys are being played or pressed, it shows nothing. Is there any way to show which notes are being pressed in the MIDI editor?
Try looking in a manual for once! I have seen a few posts from you since you joined not long ago and almost every question you ask is covered in the manuals that came with either PT or your keystation ES so look there first. Thanx

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Try looking in a manual for once! I have seen a few posts from you since you joined not long ago and almost every question you ask is covered in the manuals that came with either PT or your keystation ES so look there first. Thanx
Sorry for that, I bought an Mbox that came with Pro Tools and when people referenced or said "the manual".. I thought the little tiny booklet that says "intro to pro tools" was the manual. I couldn't really find anything amazingly useful in there. So, I just found out what the actual manual is now. With that being said, I looked through out the manual at all the midi editor window stuff and I can't find anything on the question I'm asking. Sorry if my lack of knowledge has bothered you, my intentions are pure!! Maybe you would know the answer?

edit: Let me explain my question further... When I record notes, the show up fine. But I'm talking about when notes are being pressed or played, the correct notes don't show that there being pressed or played.. So, when I press c5, shouldn't the c5 note in the MIDI editor light up or change color? Hmm...
Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM

I guess this feature just isn't available in Pro Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM

I am still currently looking for an answer to this question, I googled it and then this thread came up! lol

I hate to be the bumper, but if anyone know if this feature is possible in PT, please let me know!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 PM

anyone? no1?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM

pro tools doesn't do that like logic does. EZ keys is pretty close to logic in that it spits out chord names and shows the keys on a grand piano photo get highlighted as you play them.
Obviously the notes pop up as you record in PT but there is no midi monitoring with any description of whats coming in.
In my opinion, they should make a midi module that you can turn on or off in preferences that has extra graphics. An important note about Pro Tools is to have as few resources used in graphics as possible. It was always the least entertaining DAW but one that lets you get a lot of work done, hopefully.......
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM

yeah you could try just going into record each time. Why not? You can always hit undo.

All time greatest feature of Logic (which I don't use anymore) was keeping a running recorder happening even when you're not officially in "record". If you got inspired just rehearsing a part and played something you wish you could keep, you could stop and type some command that would save your last pass.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post

All time greatest feature of Logic (which I don't use anymore) was keeping a running recorder happening even when you're not officially in "record".
I even had that feature on Notator Logic for Atari. I can't believe what it did on that machine. The environment is second to none. I had a blast with all those pitch delays and arpegiators cranking away. It was cool loading any song and having it represent every section of my EMU Proteus and Roland GR-1, D4, and Lexicons. I haven't run midi hardware in years. I still have all that stuff and it all still works.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM

I have pro tools 10, Recorded some superior drums and went up to windows drop down, midi editor and my midi editor window has no grid lines??? What did i do and how do i get them back??? HELP!!