Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 10-15-2021, 09:15 AM

Default Re: iZotope RX9

It’s definitely preserving more of the voice than my RX7 version. Can’t hear a difference between Good and Best at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.spoonsound.com
Old 10-15-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
It’s definitely preserving more of the voice than my RX7 version. Can’t hear a difference between Good and Best at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting - I can't recall if there was any change between 7 and 8. I wish I could say the same of hearing any improvement. Though I can't share the audio, I guess I can share images of the spectrogram (shame there's no inline image preview on the DUC. EDIT - oh there is if the forum settings are switched to "show inline images" in User CP - thank you musicman691!).

Here's an offending original clip - presenter on a water jet thing. See how clear the trace of the dialogue is.

Here's the settings (RX9 shown here but same for 8)

Here's the results in RX8 (legacy):

Pretty crude, but it's mostly got the basic idea. Here, however is the result in RX9:

You don't really need to hear that to know how bad it sounds. And that's the ultra-slow Best quality mode.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM

Last edited by noiseboyuk; 10-15-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Interesting - I can't recall if there was any change between 7 and 8. I wish I could say the same of hearing any improvement. Though I can't share the audio, I guess I can share images of the spectrogram (shame there's no inline image preview on the DUC).
If by inline image you mean showing images here without having to post links like you did it does exist. Here's one using your first link:

What I did was use the 'insert image' icon that's about in the middle of the line that's just above the part of the window where you type you reply. It's just under the 'undo' icon/arrow.

QAPLA!
Old 10-15-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, same as musicman - the version I have is 9.0.1.1139.

No reply yet from iZotope. It's not impossible that there was something like a last minute tweak to an algorithm to solve one problem that has suddenly exposed a much bigger problem. I'm desperately clinging to that hope.

As I mentioned before, nearly all NR tools vary wildly in their application. On some material, RX8's Dialogue Isolate is simply miraculous, saving me incalculable time at a single click. Yet on other material it seems to do almost nothing, and the few settings controls don't help, so I manually massage using other tools. The example I sent to them is classically tricky - water spray is pretty broadband, and it was far from brilliant in RX8 - the kind of example where I'd hope RX9 might have made a big leap forward, not fallen over completely. The thing is - it's super-easy to see visually what the water and the voice components are, so you'd think logically not a tough challenge for this tool.

Gee I hope they come good on this. iZotope has drawn a lot of flack in recent times for supposedly not delivering on new features, and pushing a subscription model. I've felt both criticisms to be unfounded - RX8 had a ton of great new stuff in it, and the subs are optional so I don't care. I updated without demoing based on my own personal experience with them, which has been terrific. I now feel an idiot for not demoing, and that's not a good thing from their perspective if that view is reflected among a lot of their users. Feels like there needs to be some trust restored.

TBH if they held their hands up and said "ok, something went wrong here we need some time to fix it" I'd be fine. These things happen. I'm fearing a reply that goes something like "this algorithm works better on some material than others which is why we included the legacy option". I'll be bitterly disappointed if so. It's much slower, and I've yet to find a case where it's better than the old. And it's the headline feature.
Exactly, I am sure they will be on this soon. I have a contact there and may reach out to him as I have done some testing for them in the last few years. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-15-2021, 10:30 AM

That would be fantastic, thanks Gregory!

msuicman - that's odd, I don't see any image in your post either. Forum settings on my part? (Also curiously, I did put the links in the IMG tags)

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-15-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:

msuicman - that's odd, I don't see any image in your post either. Forum settings on my part? (Also curiously, I did put the links in the IMG tags)
DONE. I also cc'd their actual support email as well. They already replied with a ticket number, so I am guessing we will have an answer soon. I am heading on my mountain bike for the afternoon and disappearing. First day off in weeks.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-15-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:

It could be a forum setting as I see the picture I posted using one of your own links. You don't need any IMG tags - just use the 'insert image' that I outlined here. Here's the setting to do: go to your user control panel and click on 'edit options' then scroll about halfway down and in the 'thread display options' make sure the 'show images' box is checked in the 'visible post elements' section. Done.

QAPLA!
Old 10-15-2021, 02:28 PM

Thanks again to both of you! Musicman691, good tip and edited the post so all the images now show.

iZotope have replied to my support ticket, but have just sent some more supporting info for the moment.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-15-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks again to both of you! Musicman691, good tip and edited the post so all the images now show.

iZotope have replied to my support ticket, but have just sent some more supporting info for the moment.
Would love to know what happens as I have some stuff (forensic) where this would help greatly.

Couple of interesting things happening. I go to open the Product Portal and it immediately quit - it's been doing that for quite a while now. Keep in mind I'm on a Mac. Next I login to the Portal and it says there's an update for RX8. Nothing for RX9 though.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 10-16-2021 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:36 PM

For me RX9's DI worked the same, and better, than RX8. It looks like you're cutting a doc or something like that, but something with your test is off for sure. I'm cutting a show and played a bit with 9 on one scene and it was pretty good, when the actors are talking softly I found it to be better than RX8.

Processing time is indeed much slower, hopefully 9.5 will fix it, maybe using more CPU cores or something like that ?

The new Ambience Match is... weird. Didn't work for me AT ALL. It's just random copy/paste with lots of artifacts. Tried to tweak settings, no good.

I'm currently using RX8 for everything, but RX9 DI stand alone plug-in for specific lines.

BTW, there's a setting for RX9's DI module to use legacy algorithm, so you can tick that and it's pretty much RX8, so you don't need to go back and forth if you rather use 9.