Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 05-28-2021, 03:18 AM

Default Dock vertical touch strip not working

I purchased a used Dock recently, and have subsequently discovered that the vertical touch strip doesn't register any contact at all. It just doesn't work.

Everything else appears to function correctly, including the horizontal touch strip.

Is it possible something internal has come loose and could be reseated easily? I don't mind getting inside and getting my hands dirty, since the unit is second hand and therefore has no warranty to worry about.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2021, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Dock vertical touch strip not working

Update: Position 1 works as expected and can be assigned as usual. Positions 2,3 & 4 do not appear to work at all, as evident when assigning the same function that worked in '1' to these.

Are the numbered positions in the vertical touch strip connected separately inside the unit?

Old 06-01-2021, 10:08 AM
Avid

I pretty sure its a single connection. Have you tried to see if the shifted functions work on these?
Old 06-01-2021, 10:29 AM

Hi Eddie, thanks for your reply.

Same behaviour with the shift key held down. Position 1 works as expected, but no touch at all registered on positions 2-4. Very strange.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:14 AM
Avid

If this is still within warranty then you should call Avid support and get it exchanged.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:23 AM

Unfortunately the unit was purchased second-hand. Perhaps this is why the original owner punted it on.

Guess I'm out of luck... buyer beware and all that.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:16 AM
Avid

I'm sorry, I havent seen these touch strips fail like that before. There is a $99 hardware support contract you can take out on these. It would give you a year of advanced replacement after a 45 day cooling off period from taking it out.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:58 PM

Thanks for your help with this Eddie.

Do you have a link to the appropriate support contract? Would this be one of the Avid Advantage plans? The Avid website is clear as mud and I can't find a way to actually purchase any of these. Is this done in my Avid account? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Unfortunately since the Dock was purchased second hand it's never been registered to my account so doesn't appear there in any form (nor do the 2x Artist Mix units I also purchased second hand.) Is there any way to transfer ownership of hardware when I'm no longer in contact with the sellers?

Appreciate this is now veering off topic from the original post but any pointers would be much appreciated!
Old 06-03-2021, 03:18 PM
Avid

This is the part you need to order from someone like HHB, 0540-30180-15 Pro Tools Dock, Extended Hardware Support

To transfer to you first follow this page https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/en363631
Old 06-03-2021, 03:33 PM

Fantastic, thanks Eddie.

Final question:

Do I need to complete the transfer the ownership process for the Dock so it's registered in my Avid account in order to purchase the Extended Hardware Support for it?