Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2010, 01:31 AM

Default Update OSX 104.11 to 10.5.4 and PTHD 7.4 to 7.4.2

I am attempting to upgrade both my Mac OS 10.4.11 to 10.5.4 while also updating PT 7. 4 to 7.4.2 (probablycs4).
Yesterday I installed the new Mac OS over the old OX and the old PT 7.4 to 7.4.2 original version
I knew there would be some plug-in issues, but even after removing ALL non PT plugs, the system in unusable. Opinions here, the switch from 10.4 to 10.5 is a major OS update. Would I be better served to do a clean install of the new Mac OS or simply install over it?
Second, Should I do a clean install of 7.4.2 instead of going the update route? Should I do both?
I am on a original Mac Pro (quad core?) 2.66 ghz with 5 gig of ram.
I also run a Digi Expansion Chassis that is orphaned beyond 8.0.1. Popular opinions on this is to remain on the P7 based as the early PT 8 versions are quite buggy.
I do have a fall back by cloning my system drive, so to return to the original working configuration can be restored in minutes.

I also use to D-Control surface which require firmware updates to get to 7.4.2 or as a result of the OS change. Either way it has already been updated.

I know this almost legacy stuff as PT is at 9 now, but I cannot afford a new expansion chassis.

Some of my third party plugs will need to be updated as well, but I need to get up and running before addressing that.

System Config
original Mac Pro (quad core?) 2.66 ghz with 5 gig of ram with a desire to run under 10.5.4
2 x 192s
Sync I/O
Digidesign Expansion Chassis with PCIe host to PCI(x) chassis.
Original D-Control Main and 2 x 16 fader modules and surround panners.
1 Core card, 3 accell cards, all PCI(x).
PT HD Version hopefully to be 7.4.2.

Any ideas? Need to get this up by Monday or roll back to cloned system drive.

HDX 10.1 (2 Cards)
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.4Ghz Westmere 26 gig Ram
Icon D-Control, Two 192HD 16x16 analog and 8x8x8 Avid Mojo, Sync HDI/O