Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Just got a new MacBook Pro and soon 003 Rack

Hey Folks,

I'm a new MacBook Pro user, 2.4 ghz, 2gb ram, 15", after being on a PC for years and love my new setup.... I have alot to learn about ProTools, I'm gonna be getting the 003 Rack very soon and could use some guidance below, thanks in advance for any help.... I'll mainly be using the rig to record myself and singer/songwriters here in Nashville, so the music is more likely to lean towards the rootsy/organic/country realm.

1. I have some nice Pres, a Chandler 1073 and Martech MSS10 and want to know if I can insert these Pres into the 003 and bypass the 003's internal Pres?

2. I know this is a big question.... but I'm not sure how good the 003's bundled plugins sound and would like to know what you like for other manufactures reverbs, comps, eqs etc... As I said I'm doing very natural/organic music ala Daniel Lanois, Emmylou Harris etc.... I can't buy super high $$$ plugins, sadly....

3. Once I get the 003 Rack which I'll use at home, can I buy just the "Mbox box" sans the software, to go mobile with my MacBook Pro or do I have to buy a complete Mbox version? Is this even possible?

Thanks!

www.gregv.us
www.myspace.com/guitaristgregv
Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Just got a new MacBook Pro and soon 003 Rack

1) Yes

2) You'll definitely need to buy a better reverb. TL Space, Sony Oxford and Altiverb are among the favorites around here. The bundled D-Verb is pretty bad, expecially if you're doing 'natural' sounding music. You can get away with Digi's EQIII and Dynamics III if you can't afford better EQ/Comp plug-ins, but if you can there's lots of options out there, too many to list here.

3) There is no "sans-software" version on retail shelves - you could look for something like that used if you wanted though, otherwise you'll get a copy of the PTLE software whenever you buy any LE hardware.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:56 AM

In regards to your first two questions . . .

1. Yes, you can use your own pre's. Just plug the output from your pres into the line-level inputs on the 003. (Or use the digital out if they have them.)

2. I really like the project studio pack from McDSP for plug-ins. Everyone has their particular favorites. Most you can demo before you buy. Demo like crazy to see what you want.

I had an extra mbox that I bought as an open-box item from a Guitar Center last year. I don't have it anymore, though. I don't know any way to buy one new sans software. People are always upgrading. Check out e-bay.

James Abbott

002, ProTools 7.3.1cs5, MacBook Pro
Strike, Structure LE, Xpand, McDSP, Reason
More money than talent!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the info and Plug-In tips, I'll check 'em all out.... Lots to read and learn!

www.gregv.us
www.myspace.com/guitaristgregv