Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-10-2023, 04:48 AM

Default 3 ideas for editing efficiency

I greatly enjoy editing audio in Pro Tools and am wondering if there are ways to make it even more efficient. Here are 3 areas that I wish I could avoid or streamline.

1) When mixing a song over many months I always want the MP3 data for author/band and album to be the same. However, each time Pro Tools starts up I must re-enter this info. Could Pro Tools remember this info? Ideally per song so that switching to a different band/album wouldn't require typing.

2) I use pre-roll when punching tracks, but when auditioning that track I don't want to waste that time - so I am constantly switching back and forth. Could there be a feature to "only use pre-roll in record mode"? Not play mode.

3) I use F6, F7 and F8 to quickly switch between Trim, Selector and Grabber. (with my left hand) For Trim, I Only use Standard mode. For Grabber I Only use Time mode. However, often Trim ends up in Loop mode (creating loop clips) or Grabber in Separation mode (wreaks havoc when editing MIDI notes). Is there a way to communicate to Pro Tools that I ONLY want Trim-Standard and ONLY want Grabber-Time? (when pressing F6 and F8)

Again... love mixing music with PT, Paul S.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:58 AM

Default Re: 3 ideas for editing efficiency

Great suggestions.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:33 AM

Interesting anomaly: For most of the Trim/Grabber tools the cursor changes to reflect the chosen tool. On my Mac... the Grabber-Separation cursor is not the "hand with scissors", it's just the hand. Sounds like a bug...
Old 02-11-2023, 04:06 PM

For number 2)

What about [ key, the square bracket?

Pro Tools Shortcuts guide says that button (in a-z Keyboard Commands Edit Window Focus) does the following:

"Play Edit Selection"

and when I have Pre-Roll on, it immediately plays back from the cursor edit position, or plays only a finite selection.

When I use command+spacebar to start recording it uses the Pre-Roll.

The only trouble is getting spacebar to only play disregarding the Pre-Roll, but as I suggest, [ will do exactly what it seems you want the spacebar to do, so it is an option that exists, and one key, no modifier, it could be easy to remember..

As far as 3), since a few versions ago, you can make your own keyboard shortcuts. As you see in the screenshot attached to this message, I'm up to 55 custom shortcuts! I love this feature. It looks like "time grabber" tool can be assigned whereas the F8 shortcut you have might use "last remembered" or be otherwise switching it. Using the "time grabber" shortcut (default not assigned at all, in my screen shot), maybe the behaviour would reliably be what you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 16.02.51.jpg (36.0 KB, 0 views)
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 02-26-2023, 05:16 AM

I do see that Ctrl - [ will play a section without any active PreRoll.
That's something.
Thanks, P
Old 02-28-2023, 06:03 AM

For item 3, simply use Edit Tool Keyboard Lock under the Options menu. That's what it's for. Set it to whatever tool you want to use, then lock it.

See pic.
Attached Images
File Type: png Edit Tool Lock - under Options.png (96.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-01-2023, 05:15 AM

The Keyboard Lock is EXACTLY what I was searching for.

Thanks Much !!! - PWS