Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2009, 12:40 AM

Default Uninstall/Reinstall...plug ins too?

Hi all. I've tried everything...and I'm going to have to uninstall and reinstall PT 7.3.1cs8 in hopes to fix my problem. Just wondering if I'll have to do the same for ALL of my plug-ins? Or, will PT's recognize the plug-ins and VI's after reinstalling.

Many Thanks.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Uninstall/Reinstall...plug ins too?

Hard to say when you have given no info on your problems. FWIW, All my plugins showed up even after installing PT8(after uninstalling PT7.4).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-06-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbabysims View Post
Hi all. I've tried everything...and I'm going to have to uninstall and reinstall PT 7.3.1cs8 in hopes to fix my problem. Just wondering if I'll have to do the same for ALL of my plug-ins? Or, will PT's recognize the plug-ins and VI's after reinstalling.

Many Thanks.
To cover yourself, you can make copies of all your plugs in a new folder somewhere. Do the clean uninstall, then re-install and then see where it leaves you. Since a lot of problems seem to stem from the plugins, it would be better to get a baseline system running anyway... Then add plugins as required.. Definitely not fun...

The absolute best way is to format a new partition, install OSX, then PT. Not always an option, though...
Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Sorry. It was after many hours of troubleshooting that I wrote that...

My issue:
My system will crash when playing back larger sessions (25-50 total tracks). It will also crash when doing "Save Copy In." Smaller sessions, 8-10 tracks seem okay.

I've tried everything in the way of trashing prefs, databases, etc. Changing FW cables just to be safe. Of course, all of my settings are where they need to be for optimal playback 1024, 2 processors, etc. I'll watch the Disk Usage window while the problem occurs and it's no where near spiking before the crash. My guess is to uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools..... Just wondering if all of my plug ins (McDSP, Native Instrument Komplete 4, Wave Arts) will remain in their respective places once I've reinstalled Pro Tools 7.3. I'm not planning to reinstall OS X...just PTs.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:32 PM

As eluded to earlier in the thread, there are a myriad of problems can be caused by outdated or corrupt plug-ins, even if you are not actively using them in a session.

What negatives exactly are you experiencing?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Okay. I've uninstalled and reinstalled PTs 7.3. All the plug ins have remained...whew!

To put it plainly, it's as if the cpu load has doubled. I've traced the crashes to that. When I de-activate tracks/plug ins the session plays fine. The part that puzzles me, is that these same sessions ran fine 2 days ago with no need to change/de-active anything.

I suppose my work around for now is just to print stems of VI's....and be more conservative with DSP...which is an understandable reality of LE.

Anyone experienced this? I haven't installed anything new in the way of plug ins, etc and made no changes to the computer itself. I have everything pushed for maximum playback (Playback Engine, H/W Buffer). I'm a stickler for trying to understand why something is occuring in hopes to avoid it in the future. Maybe with this one, I'll just have to move on.

At least I'm running (sort of).

Thanks again.