Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2014, 04:00 PM

Default Question about db25 analog out on the Omni.

Hello,

Could I use the the db25 analog output on the omni to directly feed headphones? (Using a db25 to 1/4" female TRS cable). I know the output can be set to line level but I'm wondering if I would still need a separate headphone amp to get the level up loud enough or if I can increase the level higher within the Hardware Setup page? I'm wanting to use this for creating custom headphone mixes for recording a live band. Thought maybe I could avoid buying a headphone amp.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Question about db25 analog out on the Omni.

I'm afraid you're going to have to buy a headphone amp. Line level is simply way to low to drive headphones...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM

Hi Bill,

That's what I was expecting, just wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for the reply.

Dave
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 PM

There are lots of headphone amps out there that are pretty cheap. Presonus makes one for less than 300 bucks that can get the job done, even to get you 6 individual HP mixes!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
There are lots of headphone amps out there that are pretty cheap. Presonus makes one for less than 300 bucks that can get the job done, even to get you 6 individual HP mixes!
It's the only amp i've found that let's the artist blend the amount of mix and direct analog monitoring feed (from the preamp send if you have that) with a easy mix knob. Very usefull feature for my setup.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:38 AM

Heresy I know, but Behringer makes a model (HA4700?) that has a neat (to me) feature...

You build up a "base" monitor mix that goes to all of the "channels" on the headphone amp, then you can feed an individual signal to each preamp.

For example, the bass player would get the "base" feed, then you would feed just the bass to the "secondary" input, and there's a "mix" knob that you use to balance the two signals. This allows each artist to have a "more ME" headphone mix. I think you can daisy-chain multiple units if you need more than four headphone outs.

I think ART and maybe somebody else also make similar units...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-21-2014, 05:53 AM

Yep HA4700. It's a nice amp
And the player can set the overall eq if the mix to their liking on the front panel. (Usually me and usually asking the player - does it sound ok?)

But yeah cheap and effective
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Depending on your budget, you might look into Behringer's version of the Hearback system.

You would use your Adat outs, keeping things digital the whole way, which goes into this unit:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P16I/

From there, it goes out to a personal digital mixer for each musician (this unit):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P16M/

You would buy however many of these personal mixers that you need for however many people you record at once.

Though it's cheaper than the Hearback system, it still could get kind of pricey. But it might be simpler and more clutter-free than going analog.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 AM

I had the HA4700 and it was great until it died. Replaced it with an Alesis MultiMix 6 CUE, which does all the same, but x6 instead of x4. Could not be happier with it($149)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-21-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Depending on your budget, you might look into Behringer's version of the Hearback system.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P16I/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P16M/

Wow I like those and adats can feed them? Nice
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.