Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-27-2022, 02:04 PM

Default How does PT know that someone else is working w/ my session?

We got an unexpected error message today. We had one person working on the mix of a session in one location, and another person -- in a different location -- merely had that session open, and PT stated:

"User "John Doe" on machine "A" with IP address x.x.x.x has this session open. Please Save As a new session to continue saving changes."

According to both engineers, neither person is actually logged-in, and this is NOT a collaborative cloud session. How (and why) is ProTools aware of the other person's work? And if the session isn't collaborative, why wouldn't we be able to open the same file at the same time on different computers?
Old 09-27-2022, 02:29 PM

Default Re: How does PT know that someone else is working w/ my session?

Is the Session on shared storage? You'd see this if you had a session in Dropbox/etc. and open that on one system with "Prevent Others from Overwriting Open Session" enabled in Setup > Preferences > Collaboration, then open that session on another system.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:38 PM

Are you talking about two totally different sets of duplicated session files in two different locations? Or two people accessing central file management to run two separate sessions from one set of project assets?

The behaviour makes complete and total sense in the latter situation to prevent users unexpectedly saving over other users work. Even Word or cloud storage like Dropbox or OneDrive will automatically create a unique project file if two people end up editing the same original session or word doc.

If it is the former, I would think it is probably just something simple related to the state of the session when it was duplicated rather than anything particularly snoopy from Avid’s end. If Pro Tools puts a flag in the project files somewhere indicating they are in use, that flag may well have made the move to the new location. Purely speculating with this bit, but it would be easy to test.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Is the Session on shared storage? You'd see this if you had a session in Dropbox/etc. and open that on one system with "Prevent Others from Overwriting Open Session" enabled in Setup > Preferences > Collaboration, then open that session on another system.
^^^ This would be my guess as well. And even if people think they are not using cloud or shared network storage they easily can be. Seen enough times where folks working on stuff just don't know say the E: drive is a network share.

You can't have two people with a same shared session open, even if one thinks they are not editing the session. There is potential here to destroy work. Yes even if folks can get away with it much of the time.

What does "neither person actually logged in" mean? They *are* logged into their local computers and that may very well have network shares mounted, or default cloud storage available because of automatic login. You need to look at the details of what exact device/filesystem the session and it's files are on. All this can be as simple of mistakingly creating a symbolic link instead of copying a session folder etc.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
We got an unexpected error message today. We had one person working on the mix of a session in one location, and another person -- in a different location -- merely had that session open, and PT stated:

"User "John Doe" on machine "A" with IP address x.x.x.x has this session open. Please Save As a new session to continue saving changes."

According to both engineers, neither person is actually logged-in, and this is NOT a collaborative cloud session. How (and why) is ProTools aware of the other person's work? And if the session isn't collaborative, why wouldn't we be able to open the same file at the same time on different computers?
Sounds like you’re both working on the same session file on a network shared drive, Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, etc. This could not happen if you truly were working on separate local session copies.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:36 AM

Sounds like a feature, not a bug. Which is good.

Dominic
Old 09-28-2022, 06:36 AM

How does PT know that someone else is working w/ my session? must be PT magic
And people still wonder why it is called the "Industry Standard"

sorry couldn't resist

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-28-2022, 08:26 AM

Followup to my previous post... this was added in 2020.5. From the Blog and Release Notes back then...
Quote:
Improvements for remote workers

As a result of COVID-19, remote work becomes the new normal. The Avid cloud platform has seen a significant uptick in usage. And many users are navigating uncharted waters, looking for the most efficient remote solutions. To help them, we introduced several stability improvements for users working with Avid cloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive.
Quote:
Cloud Storage Services

New preferences have been added to aid collaboration with cloud based file synchronization services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive.

Prevent Others from Overwriting Open Session
The “Prevent Others from Overwriting Open Session” preference allows multiple users to work with a session in a synchronized shared location. It prevents two or more users from opening a session file at the same time and saving over each other. Enabling this will cause a temporary file to be created directly next to the session file as long as the session is open. Other users who attempt to simultaneously open the session will be blocked from directly saving, and notified that you are using the session. They will be able to ‘Save As,’ if desired. When the original user closes the session, the temp file will be removed, and other users will be able to open and save over the session once again. Further details about this feature can be found in the latest Pro Tools Reference Guide.

Keep Unused Folders on Session Close
It is helpful to minimize unnecessary file syncing operations when working with file syncing services. By default, Pro Tools removes unused folders within the session folder. This includes, but is not limited to, Clip Groups and Video Files folders. You may enable the “Keep Unused Folders on Session Close” preference to leave these folders in place when closing your session. Ths prevents additional synchronization operations.

Local Waveform Cache Versions
The existing “Local Waveform Cache Versions” preference will now work with sessions on drive shares when the “Prevent Others from Overwriting Open Session” is enabled. This will help lower the amount of syncing operations. When a value greater than zero is used, the session waveform cache will be created and updated outside of the session folder. The waveform cache will be copied into the session folder upon session close. This allows you to have a single sync operation, instead of many, during the course of your work.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:06 PM

The odd thing is that these two sessions are on different drives in different locations, and from what we can tell there wasn't any kind of remote connection between them. We do use Codemeter to allow the remote machine to access the authorization for Soundminer which resides on the other machine, but that *shouldn't* be enough to allow PT to recognize which sessions are open.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
The odd thing is that these two sessions are on different drives in different locations, and from what we can tell there wasn't any kind of remote connection between them. We do use Codemeter to allow the remote machine to access the authorization for Soundminer which resides on the other machine, but that *shouldn't* be enough to allow PT to recognize which sessions are open.
You need to go look at what is going on. The obvious first guess is that somebody just had the session in use with the lock files that Jeffro described and y'all copied the lock file over with the session to the new location. By default the lock file will be <SessionName>.tmp in the session folder. But the file extension might have been changed in Preferences. Which itself turns out to be a useful warning -- copying open sessions is risky. Or maybe Pro Tools just crashed and left the lock file there... if you are not going to use this feature just turn it off in Preferences>Collaboration>Prevent others from Overwriting Open Session.

Making this all more robust would take a fair amount more work, and given Avid's struggles with cloud storage just like not a direction I'd encourage them to go (like you can end up wanting a running roster on disk of all active session and hosts they are running on, for what users, session is open heartbeats being updated and/or a way to poll a remote session to see if it's still alive etc. via messages on disk. It all gets messy fast).

And even with these lock file protections in place running Pro Tools on things like cloud collaboration is a very risky proposition, Pro Tools simply has not been properly redesigned to work in a distributed cloud environment.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-28-2022 at 02:06 PM.