How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-13-2022, 04:48 AM

Default Re: iZotope RX10

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post

I’m really quite sore that I spent a lot of time with iZotope support after the release of RX9 to demonstrate that Dialog Isolate’s new dialog detection algorithm had major issues, performing worse than RX8. They thanked me profusely and agreed they should look into it. They’ve done literally nothing. It speaks volumes to me - pouring resources into a clumsy gimmick like audio-to-text and neglecting the core business.
I wonder if what you are seeing is an inability to deal with other than American accents which is something that YT vids mention in relation to RX10. Old code that hasn't been fixed. It's hilarious (not) watching a vid where the reviewer is trying the new speech detection and the words it comes up with are really bad. Sort of like when closed captioning first came on the scene. Yet YouTube's closed captioning seems to work a treat across languages and accents.

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Perhaps it's significant that there is no thread on RX10 a week after release. How the mighty fall... when Pro Tools Expert gives it the thumbs down you know you're in trouble.

I downloaded the demo. Speech to Text is useless. But the new Spectral Recovery did occasionally produce great results in the low end on speech. It's hit and miss (as is so often the case in NR), it seemed to me that when fixing a gradual LF roll-off it coped better than an abrupt one (though I also had to massage lower mids with EQ afterwards. Listen out for general graunch along with boosting the fundamentals, sometimes its minimal, sometimes overwhelming.

But overall that's two majorly disappointing RX releases in a row. Meanwhile Acon go from strength to strength, and Waves Clarity was a remarkable surprise from out of nowhere. What else are people turning too these days?
I TOTALLY agree with you guy about a lot of this. Also the Clarity thing is working great on a current project. It works as advertised. Whatever they are doing under the hood and with some crafting, I was able to use it on this new series I am doing and it totally sped up my workflow here. I have been using a bit of RX9 and some of 10 in some cases, but the less and less. RX is still a good tool for the clicks and pops etc. that are troublesome, but for the most part not really needing to go there. YUP, Spectral Repair, not really what I thought it would be. Repair Assist PlugIn for in the session? Not really great either. I think Sonible has better AI to be honest. That's what Izotope needs to work on. Just grabbed Ozone 10 Advanced update for $149 as well at midnight PST and installed. Not sure I'll use it this week on this job, but might compare it with Ozone 9 and check back. Also I noticed there is NO Standalone in the Ozone 10 Advanced version and looks like from what I read that there will not be for the regular one? Can't tell.. Something about a subscription based plan for access. Too bad. Sometimes the is handy on a laptop for me to fire off compliance masters to someone.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 09-13-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Izotope has been dropping the ball quite a lot in recent time. I'll be watching this thread for alternates.
Copy that. They need an Algorithm update.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 09-13-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
I TOTALLY agree with you guy about a lot of this. Also the Clarity thing is working great on a current project. It works as advertised. Whatever they are doing under the hood and with some crafting, I was able to use it on this new series I am doing and it totally sped up my workflow here. I have been using a bit of RX9 and some of 10 in some cases, but the less and less. RX is still a good tool for the clicks and pops etc. that are troublesome, but for the most part not really needing to go there. YUP, Spectral Repair, not really what I thought it would be. Repair Assist PlugIn for in the session? Not really great either. I think Sonible has better AI to be honest. That's what Izotope needs to work on. Just grabbed Ozone 10 Advanced update for $149 as well at midnight PST and installed. Not sure I'll use it this week on this job, but might compare it with Ozone 9 and check back. Also I noticed there is NO Standalone in the Ozone 10 Advanced version and looks like from what I read that there will not be for the regular one? Can't tell.. Something about a subscription based plan for access. Too bad. Sometimes the is handy on a laptop for me to fire off compliance masters to someone.
G
I rarely use iZotope's ai as is whether RX or Ozone; always tweak to taste.

You're not the first one to notice there's no standalone in Ozone 10 Advanced. It's being talked about over on Gearspace here: https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...g-suite-3.html

Do you have another source for what you write? I'm not doubting it but if there's more sources it will help things. Also this subscription to gain access is troubling. I know there was a brouhaha some time back where those on subs would get features before they trickle down to those of us perpetual asset holders (most of which never happened). To take away something sucks to put it mildly.

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I wonder if what you are seeing is an inability to deal with other than American accents which is something that YT vids mention in relation to RX10. Old code that hasn't been fixed. It's hilarious (not) watching a vid where the reviewer is trying the new speech detection and the words it comes up with are really bad. Sort of like when closed captioning first came on the scene. Yet YouTube's closed captioning seems to work a treat across languages and accents.
Wait what ? , so yer sayin',,, usen's who speak plane ol' 'mercan, will be spittin' tabacky on er selfs ?
Guess Ima gonna stick ma bootes with 9

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-13-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
I noticed there is NO Standalone in the Ozone 10 Advanced version and looks like from what I read that there will not be for the regular one? Can't tell.. Something about a subscription based plan for access
Jeepers. The pitchforks really will be a-comin'.

I'm perfectly happy for every developer to have a subscription plan - with the proviso that the permanent licenses aren't affected.

As it happens, I've long abandoned Ozone standalone because they don't support Waves, but the policy is very troubling.

EDIT - just checked that Gearspace link, and someone just posted what support told them:

Quote:
"There is no standalone app in Ozone 10.

It was retired due to little usage over the years and instead we wanted to use the teams to add new compelling improvements and updates like the stabilizer and impact modules."
So wow. No more Mothership. I thought that was the main point? A mastering app (volume compensation pre/post bypass was its best feature). Another highly questionable decision from iZotope.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-13-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Jeepers. The pitchforks really will be a-comin'.

I'm perfectly happy for every developer to have a subscription plan - with the proviso that the permanent licenses aren't affected.

As it happens, I've long abandoned Ozone standalone because they don't support Waves, but the policy is very troubling.

EDIT - just checked that Gearspace link, and someone just posted what support told them:

So wow. No more Mothership. I thought that was the main point? A mastering app (volume compensation pre/post bypass was its best feature). Another highly questionable decision from iZotope.
Disaster is my word for it. I loved the standalone for mastering so I didn't have to fireup PT or Wavelab. I'm NOT paying $149 for Ozone 10 Advanced just to lose functionality.

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2022, 03:33 PM

RE Ozone: I hope they've optimized it. Certainly the standalone makes sense with mastering for several reasons. One of which is the plugins are a resource hog.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:11 PM

Update:
I installed Ozone 10 Advanced trial and the plugins work just fine in PT 2021.6 running in OSX 10.13.6

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I rarely use iZotope's ai as is whether RX or Ozone; always tweak to taste.

You're not the first one to notice there's no standalone in Ozone 10 Advanced. It's being talked about over on Gearspace here: https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...g-suite-3.html

Do you have another source for what you write? I'm not doubting it but if there's more sources it will help things. Also this subscription to gain access is troubling. I know there was a brouhaha some time back where those on subs would get features before they trickle down to those of us perpetual asset holders (most of which never happened). To take away something sucks to put it mildly.
I am aware.. As I mentioned it in my info. Analysis does work, but you have to use it sparingly. I will get you started, but I use my ears of course. Been doing this a while-:). The New Ozone 10 IS much better in my opinion. WAY BETTER. Just dont' need the AI really, but the one in there does work on a different level.

Here is a tweet from iZotope today as well as FB:

iZotope

@iZotopeInc
·
5h
Replying to
@GregoryIves
The Ozone app has gone un-used by the vast majority of our customers, so we've decided to retire it with this version of Ozone. This allows our team to focus on adding more innovation into the core product experience itself.